Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar

Gas Prices

Gas prices here are $3.40 now with them expected to hit $5.00 by summer . The government doesn't think and has said they don't expect this to derail the economic recovery at all. This will also raise the prices of all our necessities like milk bread and stuff we have to purchase to live. These guys are so clueless at least in my case. I'm already scaling down my summer trips to help with the cost of traveling. I usually go to Uwharrie several times and the beach several times a summer with other side trips in between that. If gas does hit $5.00 a gallon I will be spending more time at home this summer.

What does everyone else think about it? Are your guys altering your plans strictly because of gas prices?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    What does everyone else think about it? Are your guys altering your plans strictly because of gas prices?
    Yes, yes, and yes.

I have been thinking about this specifically related to Camp Commander. It is over 1100 miles for me to Camp Commander.

1100 miles at 10 miles to the gallon (towing trailer) is 110 gallons of gas.
    $1.50 per gallon increase makes $165 extra, one way.
    This doesn't include running around gas, side trips, etc.
    For an already stretched budget, tacking an extra $300 to $400 plus to the trip may make or break it.

Recently, I have local weekend trips where I decided to drive the car rather than the Jeep. That was purely a gas decision as the XK is vastly more comfortable and would have allowed side trips while there. I decided I would rather have the $100 difference to play with while there than spend it on gas.
    (XK = 13mpg not towing vs. Hyundai = 30+mpg)
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The economic downturn that we are in now started with rising gas prices, up over $4 per gallon around here. The price of oil will rise, just like everything else. Its called inflation and its unavoidable. If it happens over an extended time frame then it is a lot easier to absorb. When it happens all of a sudden is when things really get tight. Our government has had over 100 years to either find a way to become self sufficient and support our need for oil or find an alternative. They have done neither. Not only do I need to buy gas like everyone else, but I also work in the automotive industry. When gas prices rise , people dont drive as much. As stated above, you guys are gonna pull back a bit when it comes to unnecessary travel. When the cars aren't on the road, there aren't as many accidents. I'm sorry to say it, but my livelihood depends on vehicle accidents.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Member Looking for Dirt CT-riverrat's Avatar
    Yup, gas prices definitely have affected our summer plans. No outer banks trip for us this year. I'm going to miss Surf City! On subject, but off. I have been averaging 11.6 MPG around town. What do you guys get for highway MPG?

Inflation is one thing but this surge is caused by the turmoil over there. We could be pressuring the Saudi to pump more oil to stabilize prices or drill more oil here as well. But they don't think these prices will effect what little recovery were seeing right now. Oh well, I'm seeing about 13MPG around town. I was never concerned about are lake of fuel efficientcy but if the prices hit $5 in June it will cost us an extra $32 a tank then it did in February. That's $32 a week more for me to go to work plus increases in food prices. I guess the house will be seeing more work done this summer then planned.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Definitely affects our decisions in what to drive. If gas keeps going up you can bet my Suzuki 650 dualsport will see some extra miles.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    The issue is really one of speculation on the oil traders bench. They see turmoil, they immediately try to capture arbitrage opportunities (buy cheap, hold, sell high) and that immediateley drives the prices up. When things calm they will continue to hold thier position and keep prices from falling as quickly as they rose. It happens every time. I am getting 13-14 city and 16-17 hwy. Libya mostly supplies Europe (mostly Italy), but there is likely to be a fall off effect. Supply is plentiful however our hold on gulf drilling is putting us into a very vunerable position globally.

I only have a 7 min ride to work, but you can bet that my Z4 will be getting driven more often (25/32 gas mileage).
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Planning to stay home this summer (except Camp Commander) if gas prices continue to rise.

My smart gets 40 MPG so local stuff is doable, but out of town trips will have to be the wife's car or they will not happen.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Based on the response here my point is validated. The recent rise in gas prices will cause a double dip recession. Proving the Feds once a gain have no clue on what the people are thinking.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't think they can be as stupid as to not know, I just think they are willing to accept the consequences because it won't affect them. In their thinking we (the people) need to be told what is best for us, and that is not to use so much gas. They think it is a lesson we should learn and if that means it hurts the economy too, so be it.
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information