Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secure Console / Lockable Center Console

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Secure Console / Lockable Center Console

This project was 4 months in the making but there is finally a finished production model of the "Secure Console"

As many of you know while attending SEMA this past November I saw many great products for the Commander and talked to many different companies about producing products for the Commander. One product a saw was a lockable storage unit for securing your valuables inside your vehicle. At the current time there was nobody making such a device for the Jeep Commander so I asked one firm about producing such an item for me.

I shipped my spare center console to them and they worked up a product that I feel is a great modification to our current center console, The "Secure Console" as I have named it is not a lockable box like other companies manufacture but is instead a lockable door to attach to our existing center console. The "Secure Console" was custom designed, engineered and manufactured for me by a major safe company right here in the United States.

The "Secure Console" takes less then five minutes to install and provides more then enough security to keep my valuables where I left them. There are no modifications that I needed to make to my Commander and I can remove it at anytime without leaving any indications that it was ever installed (as long as you leave out one step in the install process).

As you can see in the three photos above, this item has been custom made to match the lines of our console and is make of a high quality think steel that has then been powder coated black for a very professional look. The lock has a three number combination that you are able to change as needed. The unit can be left in the unlocked position when you are not storing valuables and with a quick turn of the knob you can lock the top in place.

Here is a quick look at the unit prior to install.

And this is what the back/underside of the unit looks like:

On the underside you can see the tab (to the right as you are looking at it) that slides into the front of the center console to position this unit and hold it in place, you can also see three attached bolts that you attach a backing plate to with the nuts that are provided to prevent the unit from being lifted out by anyone else.

The outer appearance of your center console will not change at all by the installation of the "Secure Console", They only one who will know it is there is me.

You will also notice that the opening is the same size as the current opening so this unit does not take up any of you inside storage space.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    The installed unit has a clean professional, high quality look to it which is what you expect when you are installing it in a $40,000 vehicle.

So, How easy is it to install?

The only tools you need are a simple adhesive, I used Loctite but a silicone sealer will work just as well if not better.

The adhesive is placed on the top edge of the center console nearest the passenger seat, three screws hold the drivers side in place but there was no way to attach the passenger side without modifying your console. The adhesive is NOT required and this is what you would skip if you think you might take the "Secure Console" out later.

The three screws are tighten by hand but you can tighten them with a small wrench if you want to.

Once the adhesive is applied if you are using it then you can install the "Secure Console" itself.

Line the unit up with the front edge of your console

Drop the tab in under the front edge

And let the back end drop into place.

If you used a adhesive/sealant then follow those instruction as to applying pressure or resting time before continuing with these instructions.

When you are ready to continue with the install open the lid.

Line up the support brace, it can only go in one direction.

Slide the brace over the three small bolts.

And start to attach the three nuts.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty
    Once all three nuts are in place tighten them up.

That is all there is too it.

Throw your gun, wallet whatever in there and lock the "Secure Console"

hey Knappster I really like my lock box. can you send me some instructions to set a combination??thx

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robpp View Post
    hey Knappster I really like my lock box. can you send me some instructions to set a combination??thx
    Easy Access Combination Lock.

Instructions for setting your personal combination
    1) The combination is factory set at >>0-0-0<<
    2) Combination must be on opening number prior to resetting.
    3) On the underside outer edge of the lock there is a hole for
    the code reset button. Rotate the face of cam until the code
    reset button comes into view.
    4) Push this pin in with a paper clip and keep it pushed in.
    5) Set your personal combination by turning the dials to the
    desired combination.
    6) Release the reset button and your new combination is set.
    7) To lock, rotate lock to “Locked” position. Rotate one or more
    dials after lock is closed. To open the lock, turn dials to
    your personal combination.

NOTE: If you desire, The Easy Access Combination Lock can
    be installed such that it is non resettable by the end user.
    *Take off the screw to the cam and remove the cam and the
    stop cam.
    Rotate the cylinder 180 degrees and then put the Stop Cam
    and the cam back on.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

great. thanks. i got ot installed in my wk grand cherokee. exact fit.

fwiw: i wasnt into epoxy right now but it needed someting on that side ......so I used some .030 2-sided tape instead.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robpp View Post
    fwiw: i wasnt into epoxy right now but it needed someting on that side ......so I used some .030 2-sided tape instead.
    That is a good idea too, all you need is something to make the bad guys think it is not worth hanging around inside your vehicle. Most auto burglars are in and out fast so the Secure Console in itself is enough of a deterrent.
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    Just installed it yesterday...perfect fit and a nice addition to the Jeep! Thanks for taking the time to develop this!
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 1USMC's Avatar
    Making very slow progress with my Commander projects; but I am happy to report I also just installed my " Secure Console ". Very nice !! Fits perfect, quick and easy to use.. I like it. *** <<<.>>>

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    How to set the combination:

1) The combination is factory set at >>0-0-0<<
    2) Combination must be on opening number prior to resetting.
    3) On the underside outer edge of the lock there is a hole for
    the code reset button. Rotate the face of cam until the code
    reset button comes into view.
    4) Push this pin in with a paper clip and keep it pushed in.
    5) Set your personal combination by turning the dials to the
    desired combination.
    6) Release the reset button and your new combination is set.
    7) To lock, rotate lock to “Locked” position. Rotate one or more
    dials after lock is closed. To open the lock, turn dials to
    your personal combination.
    NOTE: If you desire, The Easy Access Combination Lock can
    be installed such that it is non resettable by the end user.
    *Take off the screw to the cam and remove the cam and the
    stop cam.
    Rotate the cylinder 180 degrees and then put the Stop Cam
    and the cam back on.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information