Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knappster's 1955 Willys Pickup

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Knappster's 1955 Willys Pickup

When I was in high school more than 30 years ago I went to school my sophomore year in this 1955 Willy before we broke it down to restore it (then it sat in the weeds for the next 10 years). In 1995 I loaded all the parts into the back of a U-Haul style truck and transported it to Tacoma Washington to start the restoration.

The frame was rebuilt to include new custom made cross beams and a total boxed in frame. The axles were replace with Chevy axles.

An air tank out of a Peterbuilt was installed for the air operated step bars

The firewall was modified to accept a Chevrolet 350 V-8

and a V-8 was rebuilt along with the 350 turbo automatic transmission and set onto the frame in custom made motor mounts

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Then the truck was loaded onto a trailer for it long drive from Tacoma Washington to Phoenix Arizona in 1999

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    It sat in storage for the last ten years

and then once again it was put on a trailer (2nd time in 10 years I used my trailer) and brought home to begin the next stage of restoration

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So, whats the latest ? I remember you were looking for a local guy for the body and paint work, have any luck ? I see a lot of guys get to this point and things slow down. The mechanical aspect seems to be a little easier for the average guy to handle in his own garage ( not meaning it is easy work ) but the body work and paint gets subbed out and thats where things get slow. The body man never seems to be as motivated as the owner is. The bed looks about ready to go and the cab and doors dont look to need a whole lot of work.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    The next step is to bolt the fenders and stuff on and then run all the wires. I need to take the engine down a little and check for debris and then fire that bad boy up too.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    Update?
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Need to get the mechanic over to hook up and then fire up the motor and then start putting it back together.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Any plans on paint?
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    Any plans on paint?
    Open to suggestions, the frame is currently Dixie purple and I think I am going to change that to black, the suspension is canary yellow and I think I will change that too.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Yeah, the purple and yellow gotta go. Lol..... i would do the frame black and the body a charcoal grey or dark forest green. As for chasis accent color, i wouldn't do anything bright. Maybe match the body color.

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information