Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: PJMJR508's Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post
    Sorry, but that rear angle looks lile crap, just like mine did. Look for a thread titled something like warning to superlift owners started by Matt.

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.

EDIT: Here is the link.
    TY I was reading this today at work, ty for the link. My ujoint is trash already and a DS so once I get a new one that will resolve that issue. I will get the Adjustable Uppers once I can afford it.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    From my understanding and I don't due axles so just from what I've read. Is that the pinion angle is based on the type of connection at the TC. A regular U joint the pinion needs to be parallel with the TC. If a double cardon it needs to point towards the TC at a certain angle. So if you have a u-joint you can't just point your axle up to reduce the angle at the pinion.
    I have no clue
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    There's a few parameters for driveline setup. Yes, generally you want the angle of the pinion within 1 (or 1.5, cant remember) degree of the angle of the transfer case. For a u-joint, you also don't want to exceed 3 degrees overall angle. For short wheel base vehicles being lifted, it's almost impossible to meet both those requirements, one has to be sacrificed for the other.

I prefer to err on the 3 degree requirement to prevent pinion seal and bearing wear. In Mark's case it eliminated noise that the extra load was causing as well.

Unless you're having an issue with bearing noise or driveline vibes, i wouldnt worry about this until your other issues are figured out.

I wish i was closer so I could help troubleshoot your traction control issues. Everyone pretty much advised on what to check first already... the connections etc. Does your shop buddy have a good scanner? If so, he should be able to connect it and read each WSS while you're driving. When driving straight they should all read the same, it's a quick way to see if ones out of spec without pulling things apart.

I'll see if I can find an ohm value for the WSS... then you can at least probe each one to see if the sensor is bad without needing fancy equipment (except for a basic DVOM).
    Last edited by Matt; 10-25-2014 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    There's a few parameters for driveline setup. Yes, generally you want the angle of the pinion within 1 (or 1.5, cant remember) degree of the angle of the transfer case. For a u-joint, you also don't want to exceed 3 degrees overall angle. For short wheel base vehicles being lifted, it's almost impossible to meet both those requirements, one has to be sacrificed for the other.

I prefer to err on the 3 degree requirement to prevent pinion seal and bearing wear. In Mark's case it eliminated noise that the extra load was causing as well.

Unless you're having an issue with bearing noise or driveline vibes, i wouldnt worry about this until your other issues are figured out.

I wish i was closer so I could help troubleshoot your traction control issues. Everyone pretty much advised on what to check first already... the connections etc. Does your shop buddy have a good scanner? If so, he should be able to connect it and read each WSS while you're driving. When driving straight they should all read the same, it's a quick way to see if ones out of spec without pulling things apart.

I'll see if I can find an ohm value for the WSS... then you can at least probe each one to see if the sensor is bad without needing fancy equipment (except for a basic DVOM).
    Thank you for the info.
    Work has been very crazy so have not had a chance to take it back to the shop. I am dropping it off this weekend to get the lights taken care on the dash & also have the other RCV taken out so I can send both back to be rebuilt.
    From there I will be addressing the rubbing issues I am having & will go from there.

Made me laugh about your living closer statement, almost took a spot which would had me relocate back to the east coast. I'm originally from Long branch NJ. The money wasn't there so didn't take it.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Well the WWS was replaced.
    The shop still had the OEM hubs I took off & he took the sensor out & put in the new hub. All is good on that. All the loud popping & knocking sounds were the trackbar was loose and that was re-tightened. The strange noises I was hearing from under the XK was a few items. The 4x belly skid was tapping the cats, resolved & the front diff was coming in contact with exhaust, will have that dippeled.
    All that is left is a new DS and Rear UCA's & some more trimming to prevent rubbing from the tires.
    All and all I have happy again on how this is coming out.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    Good to hear man!!! Glad the gremlins were worked out, I had issues with the 4xGuard belly skid hitting cats as well.. Now post some pics of that BEAST
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Glad to hear its all getting worked out.

Since my surgery in early Nov I haven't done a lot. The doctors said on my last checkup that I might be walking again by Feb. Around that time I will be posting a lot of pics of what was done & how it looks and handles. I do have a Carolina Rear DS on order along with the Rear Adjustable UCAs so will have those any day now.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmjr508 View Post
    Since my surgery in early Nov I haven't done a lot. The doctors said on my last checkup that I might be walking again by Feb. Around that time I will be posting a lot of pics of what was done & how it looks and handles. I do have a Carolina Rear DS on order along with the Rear Adjustable UCAs so will have those any day now.
    Hope you get better soon and back in your Jeep! Looking forward to the update.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Hope you get better soon and back in your Jeep! Looking forward to the update.
    TY Sir.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread Information