Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: PJMJR508's Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    Those OME rear shocks are going to top out on every bump with 6 inch spings in the rear.

You don't need the front drive shaft right away but it will be a good upgrade when you get to it. As for the rear upper control arms it all depends on the rear pinion angle after the 6 inch springs are installed. It should be fine without them until you decide to order them
    Thank you for the information. I have been going over the old threads on here about 6" MOD SL & about the FOX shocks that Matt has. I would love to do those but from what I am seeing that it is $700+ for a set of 2. That will be something I will do at a later date. I saw the Rancho being discussed but could not tell if they would be good for a MOD 6" SL and either I missed it or there wasn't much else offered. Is there anything else that fit the bill just not so much money?
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    I agree with Adam, but will add 2 things you should do ahead of time. Before you install the lift, 1) measure and take pictures of your current rear pinion angle as a reference and 2) check that front drive shaft CV joint at the TC to see if the boot isn't torn (and joint failing). I went a few thousand miles before I replaced the UCAs and DS.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty 06JeepXKHEMI's Avatar
    You dont have to go with the remote reservoir Fox shocks like Matt did, I had the longer Fox shocks in the rear for a 4" lift and loved them! I paid around $300 maybe less for the pair and got some great flex out of them. Ill try and dig up some pics of them flexed out with no rear sway bar. Id definitely go that route, if I could afford the Fox shocks now they would be on my Ram..
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post
    I agree with Adam, but will add 2 things you should do ahead of time. Before you install the lift, 1) measure and take pictures of your current rear pinion angle as a reference and 2) check that front drive shaft CV joint at the TC to see if the boot isn't torn (and joint failing). I went a few thousand miles before I replaced the UCAs and DS.
    Thank you very much for the information & will take the pics and go from there.
    Last edited by pjmjr508; 08-05-2014 at 11:08 PM.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Quote Originally Posted by 06JeepXKHEMI View Post
    You dont have to go with the remote reservoir Fox shocks like Matt did, I had the longer Fox shocks in the rear for a 4" lift and loved them! I paid around $300 maybe less for the pair and got some great flex out of them. Ill try and dig up some pics of them flexed out with no rear sway bar. Id definitely go that route, if I could afford the Fox shocks now they would be on my Ram..
    Thx I was looking at some of the non adjustable ones just wasn't sure how long I will need them to be to work the 6" coils. Any recommendations?
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Matt suggested to go with a longer shock than the lift was for, I suppose with intentions the rear would be lifted higher at some point. I was running 4" lift shocks on the OME HD so I had enough flex without a sway bar in the rear my spring would almost fall out! I suppose a 6" shock would be good but guess it wouldnt hurt to get some extra flex out of a longer one, are you going to be running a sway bar in rear???
    2K6 Limited Jeep Green Metallic/Saddle Brown Leather XK HEMI QDII Old Man Emu HD Suspension w/ Fox Emulsion 2.0 Rear Shocks 1.5" SpiderTraxx Wheel Spacers 265/70 GoodYear MTRs w/Kevlar True Dual Exhuast w/IMCO 50 K&N 63 CAI Diablo 91/Performance Transmission Tuned SA Belly Skid MOPAR Gas Tank Skid, Transfer Case Skid, Suspension Skid Front Tow Hooks 6k HID Lows/3k Fogs

Quote Originally Posted by 06JeepXKHEMI View Post
    Matt suggested to go with a longer shock than the lift was for, I suppose with intentions the rear would be lifted higher at some point. I was running 4" lift shocks on the OME HD so I had enough flex without a sway bar in the rear my spring would almost fall out! I suppose a 6" shock would be good but guess it wouldnt hurt to get some extra flex out of a longer one, are you going to be running a sway bar in rear???
    Right now I have both the front & rear sway bars removed. After I get the lift installed I was going to drive it around for a bit to see if I need to put them back on or not.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Id run the front one no matter what, but with the stiffer HD springs in the rear and MTRs I didnt notice much of a difference. And its not like Im taking turns at 80 or driving like a mad man in traffic

Member Looking for Dirt
    I've been driving without either of my sway bars on since April, and I dont really notice any difference in handling or feel unstable or anything like that. Feels almost the same as with them on.

Thanks guys for the info.

Since it looks like the 5100 struts are still on back order and will not have them before I get the SL installed.

Matt can you confirm this for me-
    If I do use the OME HD Strut & coil up front with a 1/2 coil cut off it & put the SL strut spacer should not make to the front to tall to ruin anything until the 5100's come in?
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread Information