Thread: Anyone port and polish?

Anyone port and polish?

Has anyone ported and polished the throttle body? I've been looking at this mod for my 4.7L. There are some videos on YouTube that make it look pretty easy.
    Blue 2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L... AFE, Flow Master 50, Jeep Slush Mats, Grab Handles, 1.5" spidertrax, RC 2", and hacked AVIC-Z120BT w/ infinity refs all around + 320GB music library. Need a basket badly! Also need new rear bumper! (dam u blind spot)

Ok, so I got bored and pulled the throttle body. It wasn't too bad, just a few bolts and the cable linkage, came out rather easy. Here is a picture with it out...

Don't tell my wife I used her towel...lol

This is the ridge that I filed down to help smooth out the airflow....

I just filed the ridge out all the way around the inlet and hit it with some wet 100 grit sandpaper.

Next I continued sanding with wet 220 grit sandpaper. As you can see it is getting pretty smooth.

At that point it is pretty darn smooth and leveled. I wanted to get to 1000 grit sandpaper, followed by some aluminum polishing compound. (but didn't have any handy) If my dremel didn't break a while back, I would have used that instead of filing. It did take longer, but I did find that with using the file, I had more control over smoothing out that ridge.

I haven't driven it yet, but I did notice the throttle responded somewhat better. I have the battery disconnected at the moment to clear the computer. (don't know if this is needed or not) I'll post a followup later on today after I take it WOT (wide open throttle)
    Blue 2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L... AFE, Flow Master 50, Jeep Slush Mats, Grab Handles, 1.5" spidertrax, RC 2", and hacked AVIC-Z120BT w/ infinity refs all around + 320GB music library. Need a basket badly! Also need new rear bumper! (dam u blind spot)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    thats a pretty cool mod man. I agree with disconnecting the battery. After I did a mod I saw drop in MPG I decided to reset the computer and it worked I gained some MPG's so ya good call on that.

Thanks.

So I drove about 50 miles last night. I noticed a pretty good throttle response, as I noticed before, but it felt more "peppy" on the highway. I also noticed about a 1 mpg improvement at highway speeds. (works for me) I guess time will tell any true MPG gains, as I know a lot goes into calculating any improvements.

Overall, I totally recommend is mod to every 4.7L owner.

Thats cool I will add this to my mod list.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Thats cool I will add this to my mod list.
    The price is right with this mod as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Spigot View Post
    The price is right with this mod as well!
    Ya I like free a lot. LOL I will probably use my dremel when I do this.

Thread Information