There are many great lifts out there for the Jeep Commander. I installed the Rocky Road lift within 6 months of ownership so I cannot even tell you what the OEM ride was like but then I cannot miss it either. The Rocky Road lift for the Commander costs between $200 and $400 depending on your shock options. The lift is available at the following link: http://www.rocky-road.com/commander.html

(photo of lift kit to be added)

There are several benifits to a lift for those who intend to take your Commander off-road, the biggest of course is the additional ground clearance. One of the other benifits with this lift is that it levels out the Commander and you no longer have the front end looking lower than the back end (front end rake).

(photo of level Commander to be added)

This is a do it yourself (DIY) project but I strongly recommend you get a couple of buddies to help you out, we all know those guys who will help you work on your vehicle for a cold beer or two (but you need to check to see that they tightened the bolts )

You do not need any specialty tools to instal this lift but I would suggest that you go to your local auto parts store and see if they offer the free tool rental (you pay a fee but get your money back when you return the tool), then pick up a coil spring compresser. You do not need it, but the job will be a LOT easier with one.

Do the back first just in case you cannot finish the job in one day, you will still be able to drive and you will not have to worry about the front end being up in the air or running around with your front wheels out of allignment. And yes, that means after the lift is installed you will have to get your front end alligned.