Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me what you guys think

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar

Tell me what you guys think

Ok so the bumper is chopped and the running boards are warped and the wheel flares are scratched along with the rocker panel now LOL. So I was thinking about painting the bottom of the XK with some type of protective paint like bed liner or something hard like that. I did a quick photo shop to get an idea of what it will look like. So I would like to get your guys opinion as well. So let it rip be honest about any part of this mod from paint suggestions to color, or if ya think its ugly just sound off.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Personally I think that would have been an awesome option from the showroom, I would like to see it if it looks anything like the picture.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like the idea. HueyPilot did it and it looked nice. His doesnt show up as much because his Jeep is dk. green. First thing I would do is remove those go-to-hell running boards and get the rocker guards. Then bed line everything. I would do it with black. the black will also make the XK look as though it sits a little higher. The problem is that I have used several do-it-yourself bed liner kits and am not impressed with them. I have used the SEM, 3M, and Raptor Liner. In my opinion they are not thick enough, dont get hard enough, and they tend to peel off too easily. I dont know if you can get some Line-X or Rhino Liner for do-it-yourself application but I would check into it. The main thing to remember no matter which product you use is that the prep work will make or break the job. Follow the instructions to the T and it should come out just fine.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

I saw HueyPilots thread on doing his bumpers I planned on following his steps to do mine. But I didn't see that he did his complete bottom of the jeep. I haven't found any threads of people doing the rocker panels and such. So is the procedure the same on the rocker panels as it is on the plastic bumpers?

I like the look, I did it to my 91 XJ and as soon as I did it, I started seeing copycats-so I assume it looked good to other people as well.

Member Looking for Dirt txbajacommander's Avatar
    I like it too, I'd also say go with black.

Ya I'm settled on the black for sure now. Huey has a great right up on the plastic bumpers, any advise on the rocker panels or is the procedure about the same on the sheet metal.

Member Looking for Dirt
    I think it looks cool.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The same for the rockers. Just make sure you get them scuffed up good. The pros sand the paint with like 220 grit or even 180 grit paper. That is way too rough to do a traditional paint job which would be like 500 grit or finer but the bed liner will cover those rougher scratches up easily. If you can get access to a compressor and a D.A. sander that would be the way to do it.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Quote Originally Posted by NeilSmith View Post
    The same for the rockers. Just make sure you get them scuffed up good. The pros sand the paint with like 220 grit or even 180 grit paper. That is way too rough to do a traditional paint job which would be like 500 grit or finer but the bed liner will cover those rougher scratches up easily. If you can get access to a compressor and a D.A. sander that would be the way to do it.
    Ok sounds like a plan then. I think I will add this to my winter mod list unless I get bored LOL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information