Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to Change Spark Plugs on Hemi?

Senior Member Getting Dirty

When to Change Spark Plugs on Hemi?

Like the title says, when? Mine seems to run great but maybe I should get it done. I probably should have done it sooner ...hate to admit but I have 85,000 miles on original plugs.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    The upper 8 plugs are due at 30,000 miles, I cannot remember the the miles for the lower 8 plugs but someone will find it I am sure. But my bet is at 85,000 you might as well do them all.

Ooops. OK. I'll do all 16. Seems like my dealer may have mentioned that. I service it at the same dealer all the time. Oh well, my bad.
    2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s, Rola Roof Rack.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Your deffinately a little over due for some new plugs. Maybe you'll even see an increase in gas mileage when you swap them out.
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Well, I've done a good job of other maintenance, fluids and brakes. Time to get this handled. Color me red.
    2007 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Rusty's 2" lift, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, GetLost4x4's front hitch mount for portable winch.GY Duratracs 265/70R17s, Rola Roof Rack.

Just got back from getting new plugs. I had forgotten that I had them done at 50,000 miles, so not as bad as I thought.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GPintheMitten View Post
    Just got back from getting new plugs. I had forgotten that I had them done at 50,000 miles, so not as bad as I thought.
    Then I guess you are not a far overdue as you originally thought. If you think about it take some photos of the plugs you remove so we can see what they look like after 35,000 miles.

And if you feel like making a "How To Change Hemi Spark Plugs" thread for the tech section we would all be greatful!

What I meant was I just got back from the dealer and had them put new plugs in. Sorry 'bout that. I did think on the way home I should have asked to see the old plugs.

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    The upper 8 plugs are due at 30,000 miles, I cannot remember the the miles for the lower 8 plugs but someone will find it I am sure. But my bet is at 85,000 you might as well do them all.
    You are describing the plugs in the 4.7L engine and not the Hemi that GP has. On the Hemi, all the plugs are on the top, side-by-side. In fact, there is a single coil pack per cylinder that has 2 boots coming out for the 2 plugs per cylinder. When I was changing my plugs, it was difficult to pull the coil packs off of 2 of the cylinders. On both of those, each coil pack left 1 boot in the cylinder head. It was a royal PITA to get them out! Make sure to use dielectric grease on the boots when reinstalling!

BTW, I did my plugs at 30,000 and put in Autolite Iridiums. With conservative driving, I can get 19 - 21 mpg on the highway with gently rolling terrain.
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lekmedm View Post
    You are describing the plugs in the 4.7L engine and not the Hemi that GP has.
    Thank you, In time we will get a photo "how to" posted up on the forum. I only have 16,000 miles so I still have 3 or 4 years to go before I get to 30,000 miles
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information