Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Range Report

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Range Report

We finally got some decent weather Friday so I went out to the rifle range. I go to Hite Hollow which is at the base of the Blue Ridge in the George Washington National Forest. I took my AR and my recently acquired Remington 700 in .308. I have a Leupold Vari - X III 3.5 to 8 scope on it and hadnt had the chance to sight it in. The rifle is bone stock, right out of the box. There was an older guy there that had a tricked out .308 shooting his custom hand loads. This guy took at least 5 minutes to fire a single shot while I was sending rounds one after the other. I was shooting some German surplus 7.62 and he was surprised at how well I shot with the surplus stuff. I probably could have gotten better but the range was getting busy and these were my last shots. The lower left is a stray 5.56 round. Oh, here is also a gratuitous shot of the XK up on the fire road leading to the range.

'07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Thats pretty good if you didn't zero it in at all. Who shot your target with a 5.56 round thats funny.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Thats pretty good if you didn't zero it in at all. Who shot your target with a 5.56 round thats funny.
    These were the final shots after zeroing it in. I wanted some more time but when there is a wait at the range you're supposed to spend no more than an hour at the bench. Some moron ( me ) hit my target while rapid firing their AR.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6

Quote Originally Posted by NeilSmith View Post
    These were the final shots after zeroing it in. I wanted some more time but when there is a wait at the range you're supposed to spend no more than an hour at the bench. Some moron ( me ) hit my target while rapid firing their AR.
    Just noticed you zeroed in at 100 yards so thats pretty good then. It should only take you a few more rounds to be dead on. We zero at 10 meters which translates into a 300 meter zero for us. Out of habit thats what I thought I was looking at a 10 meter zero target LOL. Rapid fire takes a different set of skills, just takes practice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Rapid fire takes a different set of skills, just takes practice.
    Yeah, it's amazing how you guys can hold on target on full auto or even a 3 round burst.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    Went to the range today and shot a .38 special, walther ppk .380, and a 44 magnum. I thought i did well with all of them being the first time shooting those weapons. I was shooting at 5 yards because thats in the range of where a perp will be attacking at. I wanted to rent a Springfield XD .45 Compact, but they did'nt have one available to rent. So i just shot the ones my co-worker brought with him. When i shot the 44 mag, everyone from the other lanes came over to see what i was firing, LOL. Thats a beast of a revolver and man what kick it has. Below is a pic of the 44 @ 5 yards, my first time shooting it. It was fun, now im hooked. The shop had a used Berreta M9 for $340, i wish i had the money cause i have always loved the look of that pistol. Oh well, here is that pic....

****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    The shop had a used Berreta M9 for $340
    If I'm not mistaken that is what my wife is issued to carry in the Navy. They must be pretty reliable because you know they are abused

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken that is what my wife is issued to carry in the Navy. They must be pretty reliable because you know they are abused
    Yeah im kinda pissed that i had to pass it up, it felt "right" in my hand. They wouldnt put it on hold for me because it is on clearance. If its still there next time i go (probably next pay day), i will buy it. Fingers crossed.
    This is not the actual pistol, but this is what it looks like....

Last edited by IamJEEP; 06-26-2011 at 07:15 PM.
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Little advice bro stop anticipating the recoil while shooting and control your breathing. Based on were you hit the target those are the two thing you should work on.

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    Yeah im kinda pissed that i had to pass it up, it felt "right" in my hand. They wouldnt put it on hold for me because it is on clearance. If its still there next time i go (probably next pay day), i will buy it. Fingers crossed.
    This is not the actual pistol, but this is what it looks like....
    Did you try to offer a non-refundable deposit or anything like that? If you really intend to purchase it and just need the funds that might help since they won't really be out anything at that point..

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information