Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Storage Box (jack area)

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar

Post New Storage Box (jack area)

So hoaxci5 posts last night on JeepForum about making a storage box from the jack area. So I'm like great idea so today I took a crack at it. Now look before you guys say anything about it keep in mine it cost me $2.50 so far and thats for the hinges. I grabbed what ever I had laying around the house to put this together and so far I'm thrilled with it. Ok so here are the pics.

Removed the jack and the stock storage box for it.

I decided not to make an actual box for a few reasons. One it would probably cost me money. Second that area is not square and has lots of things in it to build around which meant I would have had to make a much smaller box then the space that is available.

Ok so I have it down to bare bones and now understand what hoaxci5 was talking about with support.

I decided to go with a hinged lid so I fitted a piece of wood to anchor and attach the lid to. I also decided to paint every think black until I figure out what to cover it with.

I got the two pieces connected with hinges and was looking good.

I had to make some adjustments to make it work

Then I decided to add a back to it keep things in place, it's left over laminate wood flooring LOL. It served a second purpose of adding support to the thing as well.

So this is it fully loaded

Here is a shot of all the stuff I have in it right now. I was able to get rid of my tool box I carried as well

I still have to make a front face for it, it got late so I'll have to go back and do it later.

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    Looks good, how did you mount the wood? My plan was just to remove the whole thing when I need access but I like the hinge idea. Its really amazing how much room is wasted under there.

The anchor wood I mounted the lid to is screwed in on the edges. I could remove this box in about 3 minuets if I had to. But I will keep it until the third row can come out and one giant box can be made.

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    Can you still access the lowing bolt thingy to get the spare down without having to remove it all together?

Yes I can still get to it, but I don't carry a spare down there anymore.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    That will be one of my future projects but I think I will remove the third row since I have never used it.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

I'm stuck with my third row seat, it was selling point for the wife and we do use it oh well someday it will go away LOL

Senior Member Getting Dirty HueyPilotVN's Avatar
    Looks good. Much more usable space with the moulded plastic removed. I reconfigured the space and put a small hydraulic floor jack in the same area the other day.
    2007Jeep Green Limited
    4.7 Flex Fuel, Rocky Road 2.5" Lift on front, 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17
    Chrome Nerf Side Bars, K&N CAI, Flowmaster muffler, Aluminum Diamond Plate Locking Trunk installed
    Factory Roof Pod, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
    Did anyone else read the fine print in the brochure and get a $500 rebate for being a Veteran?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    I could of sworn I replied to this thread....??????........Wierd.

This is a great idea and I like the outcome. I'll be doing something similar in the future, but maybe a little more permanent. Great job, bro.
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    I could of sworn I replied to this thread....??????........Wierd.

This is a great idea and I like the outcome. I'll be doing something similar in the future, but maybe a little more permanent. Great job, bro.
    LMAO you did reply to this mod which is also posted in my garage. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information