So hoaxci5 posts last night on JeepForum about making a storage box from the jack area. So I'm like great idea so today I took a crack at it. Now look before you guys say anything about it keep in mine it cost me $2.50 so far and thats for the hinges. I grabbed what ever I had laying around the house to put this together and so far I'm thrilled with it. Ok so here are the pics.

Removed the jack and the stock storage box for it.

I decided not to make an actual box for a few reasons. One it would probably cost me money. Second that area is not square and has lots of things in it to build around which meant I would have had to make a much smaller box then the space that is available.

Ok so I have it down to bare bones and now understand what hoaxci5 was talking about with support.

I decided to go with a hinged lid so I fitted a piece of wood to anchor and attach the lid to. I also decided to paint every think black until I figure out what to cover it with.

I got the two pieces connected with hinges and was looking good.

I had to make some adjustments to make it work

Then I decided to add a back to it keep things in place, it's left over laminate wood flooring LOL. It served a second purpose of adding support to the thing as well.

So this is it fully loaded

Here is a shot of all the stuff I have in it right now. I was able to get rid of my tool box I carried as well

I still have to make a front face for it, it got late so I'll have to go back and do it later.