Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stone Soup Doc's New Project

Senior Member Getting Dirty HueyPilotVN's Avatar
    Doc,

I am sure that all of your suggestions for lowering the ET are valid. However my goal is to basically freshen up the car cosmetically. It already has the ability to go quicker than allowed by the NHRA for a convertable without a roll bar. I could put in a roll bar but it would take away from the sleeper image. I get plenty of fun out of running it as it is mechanically. By the way it does have an underdrive pulley already. Most of the modification in the past have been geared towards making it reliable as a bracket car. It never breaks down, it just eats clutches and slicks, (sacraficial items anyway). Ask Jon about that. I like the idea of allowing other old geezers like me to tear up the track and not worry about blowing up the car.

Rather than putting all the work and cost into lightening the interior and glass, I would concentrate on making the interior Pop with new panels, seats, sound system, and trim. I do plan on mostly using it for the track, but I want to license it for the street also. I kinda like the idea of racing a door slammer with power windows.

Lowering it sound good but I already am a little lower than stock with the wide tires and I sometimes drag the botton putting it on the trailer.

Personally I like the tinted rear light in the link as long as they are legal. I had a trooper in Vermont make me remove the dark covers that I had on at one time.

I guess that I would say that the bottom line is that I want to get it back to head turning appearence and I am fine with the current performance.

By the way, in bracket racing I have had my clock cleaned by station wagons that run a 20 second ET but that cut a good light and exactly run their dial in.

Anybody that wants to chime in with any other ideas, feel free. Nothing is in stone yet, even though it is at the Stone Soup Shop.
    Last edited by HueyPilotVN; 03-27-2011 at 06:01 PM.
    2007Jeep Green Limited
    4.7 Flex Fuel, Rocky Road 2.5" Lift on front, 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17
    Chrome Nerf Side Bars, K&N CAI, Flowmaster muffler, Aluminum Diamond Plate Locking Trunk installed
    Factory Roof Pod, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
    Did anyone else read the fine print in the brochure and get a $500 rebate for being a Veteran?

Jon,

Every 1/10 of a second gets more expensive than the last 1/10th of a second. If I spent enough money, time, and energy cutting the weight and adding a blower or nitrous I am sure I could cut the ET down into the 12's or lower. If I did that I would have to add a serious roll bar/cage and I would not be as comfortable with old guys with minimal drag racing experience driving the car. The idea is to have fun, not to get anyone hurt. I want the old guys to get a rush, not to rush them to a hospital.
    2007Jeep Green Limited
    4.7 Flex Fuel, Rocky Road 2.5" Lift on front, 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17
    Chrome Nerf Side Bars, K&N CAI, Flowmaster muffler, Aluminum Diamond Plate Locking Trunk installed
    Factory Roof Pod, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
    Did anyone else read the fine print in the brochure and get a $500 rebate for being a Veteran?

Sal,

I agree that a covered and closed back seat area would look better. However, since no one has sat in the back seat for years and probably never will, I like the idea of cleaning up the area by removing the seat and putting in the gray carpeting and simplifying the interior. I would even use the weight savings to add some good speakers.

Keep the ideas coming.
    2007Jeep Green Limited

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    The rear seat cowl I'm talking about would look awesome and give you a great place to put speakers. I was going to have it professionally painted then air brushed with some graphics like mustang or something the possibilities are endless. I took the design cue from the super cars how it comes forward and hugs the front seats and flows to the dash. I wish I could draw so I could show you right now it's stuck in my head. I think you're on the right path with the lights and stuff it will look good when I up graded my head light I loved it.

Not what I was thinking but there not bad. I might play with the photo shop and see if I can draw something up.

I like the second one better. I am afraid that I might drop something on the speakers in the first one. I also like the idea of a cover to seal off the area, kind of like a tonneau cover on a wrangler or the rear seat area covers on old Thunderbirds
    2007Jeep Green Limited

Ok this is a hack job but only had 5 minuets 0430 comes real fast It kinda shows what I was thinking I'll tinker with it more tomorrow maybe. Tell me what your thoughts are.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    In Arizona anything other than stock tail lights is actually illegal. You are not supposed to add any tint or cover of any kind according to the statute.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

If the tint is out, I would just as soon have the GT tail lights and maybe fit them with internal LEDs, possibly sequential LEDs. They also make Halo headlights for the Mustang.
    2007Jeep Green Limited

Update:

Doc has had the Mustang at his shop and is tearing into it. His buddy the painter wants to get a little wild, (not sure what that means). He is going to sign it so I guess it cannot be that bad as it will reflect his skills on their web site.

Picked out the color. It is going to be the metallic blue color that looks bright blue in the sunlight and looks darker in shade. I think doc said that he is going to shoot a pearl base coat under it. The accents will be in white, Letters, stripes, air brushed logos.

He also mentioned paint matching the mirrors in blue with a black trim on the edges and painting the center and spokes on the wheels and leaving the rims shiny.

We also deceided to put a four point roll bar in and painting it either blue or probably black. This will eliminate my need to not break into the 13's when running on a NHRA track. This might be a slippery slope if we start adding NO2 or a blower.

I think Doc is taking progress pictures but I am not bugging him and he might want hold off on the pictures till it is finished. The past week has been prep and body work. Doc plans on shooting the fenders and such off the car but hanging in place to get the shading and paint the same. He or his guys are also pulling the doors and the interior panels to shoot the color on the edges and panels.

We did also agree to lose the luggage rack and spoiler and to never reinstall the front cover...lol.

Film at eleven...or if and when Doc chooses to share.
    2007Jeep Green Limited

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information