Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RK 3.5" Long arm kit questions

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty XK N00b's Avatar

RK 3.5" Long arm kit questions

I'm considering this kit:

http://www.jackit.com/jeep/commander/xk_06-08.html#3.5

Having never had a lift on a vehicle before and no real additional info on the site...

1) How much of my wonderful extended warranty does this void?
    2) Will I need longer brake lines/taller shocks?
    3) Does anyone else use this lift and have any reviews/complaints?

2008 Limited QDII 5.7 Hemi
    Only mod so far is the 2 screen strap-on DVD player for the back seat. If you've done a road trip with kids you know this is one of the best things ever.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Hey bro based on your introduction off road addict. I would recommend the super lift 4" kit. But I would concentrate on getting you armor plating squared away first. The factory skids were an option so you need to check that you have them and not the plastic ones. Then 4xguard sells the armor to fill the gaps of the stock plates all the links can be found on the XK-Parts link found in my sig and your welcome message. If money is an issue the rough country 2" spacer lift is a great option to get you started on the trails while you purchase armor and save up for the SL. JBA UCA's will help with any lift you put on. I do not recommend going over 2" with out the front diff being lowered. Right now only the SL and rusty's 4" kit drop the diff to correct the CV angles and the JBA UCA's correct the ball joint angles.

Also the warranty company has to prove that the lift caused the part to fail. So most of your warranty should be good. Your CV axles and suspension parts might not be covered anymore but they can't say your motor blew up because you lifted your jeep. Thats my understanding anyway. Oh and JBA UCA means Jeepin by Al Upper control arm. Any more questions feel free to ask

Additional comments

Ok was able to check that kit out. I wouldn't do it just based on the height alone without addressing the CV angles. Like I said earlier anything over 2" not addressing the CV angle is bad. The rough country will give you a solid 2" lift ($150) and a level ride bringing the nose up. This will allow a max of 32" tires with slight modification to the pinch weld and wheel well plastic. That combination will allow you to do some serious off road action. Gives you time to save up for the SL kit. But I would invest in the armor first.
    Last edited by Sal-XK; 03-30-2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: added to post

Thanks, Sal. I've had the concern about going too high on IFS before because of the CV stress. I think I'll pull the trigger on the RC lift and see how it feels. As far as armor goes, I've got the T-case and fuel tank skids on already and they aren't the plastic ones I like the belly guard and cut bumper you've got on your ride. I think I'll look into some rock skis under the rocker panels and maybe visit Doc's shop and see what he can do as far as bumpers go. The pics of Don's unfortunate wreck have sold me on Doc's workmanship.
    2008 Overland in Black
    Loaded, Leather, 5.7 Hemi QDII,
    All 3 MOPAR Skids, VEC, Tow Pkg., 2" Rough Country Lift, 1 1/4" Spidertrax spacers, 255/75/17 BFG M/T's, Flowmaster 50 series muffler

Make sure you grab the suspension skid as well then bro. Then add the 4xGuard stuff and you will be good to go. The 2" lift adds some angel to the CV but nothing to bad at all. When your ball joints where out grab the JBA UCA's you will need them anyway if you go any bigger and the ball joint is grease-able and can be replaced and it correct the angle of the ball joint as well so its a good upgrade. If you check out my youtube link in my sig you can see the 2" lift in action. Nothing like the stuff you lucky guys get to play on out there in AZ but I hit some decent stuff out here. If I lived anywhere near DOC I would be broke and in debt by now LOL

I spent the evening last night neglecting the wife while watching your youtube channel waiting for my account to be activated so I could post the thread.
    2008 Overland in Black
    All 3 MOPAR Skids, VEC, Tow Pkg., 2" Rough Country Lift, 1 1/4" Spidertrax spacers, 255/75/17 BFG M/T's, Flowmaster 50 series muffler

Just ordered the RC 2" lift. Should be here Monday or Tuesday, looks like I know what I'm doing next weekend. I assume I should schedule an alignment right after? Did you guys go in for one after the install?
    2008 Overland in Black

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Yup, you 100% need an alignment after the install.

REQUEST a printout of the alignment specs. They should adjust the camber/caster via the lower control arm. There was a member recently that went in for an alignment and they only adjusted the toe, but it was clear that they could have got the camber/caster within range if they tried.

Get your alignment done put some miles on it and check to make sure everything is still tight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information