Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: New here? Make your first post in this thread, Introduce yourself & your Commander

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum webslave. There are some great mods and information here that would make any commander tow better check them. Start a garage and let us know what stuff you have.

Senior Member Getting Dirty 06blkhemi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by webslave View Post
    Just found out about this forum! Can never have too much information on the Commanders. I don't post much, not a big "moder" as I use my Commander as a tow boat for my travel trailer:

Have done some light off-roading on our trips, but, I'm towing heavy and most of the mods cut into the haul capability. Do love my Commander though, and always enjoy reading about the mods you all have made. I still lament the day they decided to drop the Commander line.
    Welcome to the forum !!
    What size,weight etc. is your Camper? We have a pop up and want to up upgrade sometime !!
    Cya on the forum...Frank
    06 Hemi Limited,black,QD2,elsd,loaded minus back up camera,OEM hitch with 7pin harness. RC 2"lift,BFG Rugged Terrains 265x70x17(31.7"),1 3/4" Rugged ridge wheel spacers(front), 4xguard Matrix Pushbar and Grill Hoop,4xguard rockrail/sliders,4xGuard 12 bolt diff guard,6"Hella 500 Black Magic Driving lights.

I tow a 2008 FunFinder X-210WBS. It is a 21' box, but, if you add the tongue and a waste pipe mod I did, the whole thing comes out at 25.5 feet. I have a bicycle rack for the back that adds another 3.5 feet, so the whole rig as I tow it is right at ~29 feet. Since we tend to go for several months (ahh, reitrement) we tow on the heavy side, I'm right at ~5900 lbs with a tongue weight of ~715 lbs. Use an Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch to get the Jeep to squat equally at all four corners and a Prodigy P3 to get the whole shebang to stop.

Great towing, rock solid (can't say enough about the lack of frame flex in the Commander) and the Hemi is more than up to the task of hauling 3 tons all around the country! I've got about 28,000 on this setup now and love the combination. I average 10.7 mpg going cross country and back, no complaints at all. Best I've gotten is 12 mpg through the flats of Kansas, the worst, 8.5 mpg on Rt. 550 from Durango up to Silverton...

Unfortunately, as I mentioned, a lot of the mods that you guys do to your Commanders would adversely affect the tow capability of the vehicle...lift kits need an even longer drop on the stinger, the drop is already severe due to the stock height and you can't tow 3 tons with the tongue up, should always be level or slightly down. A deeper drop on the stinger to compensate for a lift would lessen the amount of tongue weight that the reciever could handle (leverage), etc. The addition of heavy steel plating (skids) or a new front end with winch, would also knock back the amount of weight (gross vehicle weight) the Commander could be loaded with; I'm creeping up on the max as it is. Now when I get a Ram 2500 Cumins Turbo, then, I'll think about some mods to the Commander... Right now, all my mod creativity efforts are going into the TT...and I can't do too much more (28 changes to the stock trailer at last count) as I'm creeping up on the max axle weight for the axles that are on it...
    Webslave

2008 Hemi Commander 4X4 Limited
    Airaid CAI, Magnaflow CAT Back

Air Ride, lift at the touch of a button. But a fine rig you have. And welcome to all the new people.

J

2006 Commander 4x4 4.7 2nd Jeep, traded in a lifted Liberty for this. Much nicer vehicle.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    welcome to the club!
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by webslave View Post
    Just found out about this forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyorDeath View Post
    2006 Commander 4x4 4.7 2nd Jeep, traded in a lifted Liberty for this. Much nicer vehicle.
    Welcome October 2010 members

Hey yall. Im Billy from Fort Riley, KS. In the Army as 31B Military Police. I own a 06 4.7L and its my baby. Got it 100% back in March 09 and now its not so stock.

Wow

That's a good lookin XK!!!

And thank you for your service to this country.

Senior Member Getting Dirty sean112280's Avatar

New here from MD

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0294.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	375Hello All. My name is Sean. I am stationed at Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD right now. I have a stock 07 4.7 XK. Just wanted to introduce myself. Thanks for having me.
    Last edited by sean112280; 11-22-2010 at 07:53 AM. Reason: added pic

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread Information