I had the pleasure of working with Tony at Rhino Rack USA and he turned me on to a new rack for the top of the Commander. I really liked the look of the basket I had up there for four years but I really love the look of the new Pioneer Platform Rack.

The rack is available in six sizes 60x48, 60x54, 76x48, 76x54, 84x56 & 107x57. I settled on the 76x54 as that is almost the exact dimensions of the width of the Commander and the length of the side rails on top.

Rhino Rack also makes a leg kit specifically for the Commander that attaches the platform to the side rails with a nice clean professional look.

The platform comes to the door pretty much complete but I did have to attach 3 cross rails to the underside with pop rivets that are supplied with the rack (this is so the rack can fit a variety of vehicles).

The platform has a weight of about half that of the Yakima Basket that I took off the top which sat on four OEM cross rails ( I did not see the actual weight on the Rhino Rack web site).

The platform as you can see is just a flat surface and allows you do do almost anything you want with it. Each of the planks has a grove that accepts the list of optional equipment and you can create your own mounts for additional items (I am going to devise a way to mount my Yakima Kayak Rack to the platform

You can order a side rail kit for each of the four sides that you desire:

Add a Hi Lift or Shovel mount:

You can even add the OZ Tents FoxWing Awning available through Rhino Rack like I did: