Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FoxWing Awning

Administrator
    Blog Entries

FoxWing Awning

At SEMA 2010 I saw the FoxWing Awning sold by Rhino Rack USA, This amazing awning mounts to the side of your roof rack, basket or platform and provides a fold out awning amounting to a three quart pie shape around one side and the back of your vehicle, you can order it for the driver side or passenger side installation (I chose driver side).

The following is from the Rhino Rack web site:

Foxwing Awning Left Side Mounting (31100)

Easy to set up & pack away
    1 x Person operation
    2 x Person operation in windy conditions
    2 Year Warranty
    UV Protected
    Mold Resistant
    Wont Rust
    Fits all Thule*, Yakima* and Rhino-Rack Roof Racks
    Supplied with telescopic poles, pegs and ropes
    Awning rotates 270 degrees covering the side and rear of vehicle

* Additional Fitting kit is required

The FOXWING Awning (patent pending), is a brilliantly designed 1 piece, easy to operate, swing out awning that will shade the side and rear of your vehicle in seconds. Unique, due to its simplistic 1 person operation the FOXWING Awning can be set up and packed down in minutes making it the perfect solution to protect you from the elements.

Supplied with fitting kits the Foxwing awning easily attaches to any Rhino Rack Roof Rack cross bars. Great for camping trips, quick getaways & watching the kids play sport. The Foxwing Awning is also ideal for tradesmen or mobile coffee operators for example.

Made from the same high quality material (rip-stop poly-cotton canvas) used by OZTENT the Foxwing Awning is UV protected, water proof and mold resistant. The solid frame consists of anodized aluminum and corrosion resistant hardware so it wont rust. All telescopic poles, guy ropes and pegs are included and come with their own travel bag for neat and tidy storage when not in use. Perfect for the avid camper, traveler or tradesman, the Foxwing Awning is the quick and easy solution to protect you from the elements.

The kit also has an optional sand bag kit to help hold down the awning in high wind situations (I purchased one of these as well):

And optional extensions that zip in to any of the five sections to provide side walls, with four extension you could build a large tent (I purchased two extensions):

Here are a couple photos from the web site:

Last edited by Knappster; 04-11-2011 at 10:48 PM.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Foxwing Awning Installed on a Jeep Commander

Here are a few photos of the Foxwing Awning installed on my Jeep Commander:

Last edited by Knappster; 04-11-2011 at 10:49 PM.
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    $476.97 from the Sportman's guide. (Club price) You won't find one any cheaper.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=808269

Got me one a comin' ...a passenger side version.
    Last edited by Adondo; 05-25-2011 at 04:06 PM.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adondo View Post
    $476.97 from the Sportman's guide. (Club price) You won't find one any cheaper.
    That is a great price, you are going to love that thing...

Now let's see you in Colorado!

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

Mine came yesterday. It shipped from Salt Lake City. It was supposed to be shipped June 8th, but I got a tracking number on the 30th. Go Sportsman Guide!

I fabricated two brackets from 3" aluminum angle. (Which is about 1/4" thick) I needed my Foxwing to mount to the roof rack, as there's not enough space on the cargo bars with a roof rack in place.

Here's what I did:

The brackets:

All hardware is stainless steel.

Mounted to the roof rack:

My alley light worked out, because it just got stacked on the bracket:

Installed! I had to slide it back and forth to find the best position for the rearmost bar, so it would span over the hatch without cramming it.

Because my mounting keeps it low, (about an inch above the roof line) the front extension doesn't look too bad.

Continued...
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Deployed!!

The rear hatch is almost all the way up. The Foxwing's 3rd bar holds it down a bit.

The open side door clears okay.

There's a lot of room under there, more than my commercial 10x10 Easy-Up. That 75 lb. two-people-for-30-minutes-to-set up thing won't be going on anymore camp trips!

Folded up:

Knappster, I looked at your photos again... I see why you went with a driver's side mounting. (e.g. an Australian right hand drive version)

Your tire carrier swings to the passenger side doesn't it? That would put the tire etc. right smack dab in the way of a passenger side mounted Foxwing. You'd have no space left under the awning. Or... you'd have to walk out into the rain and back from the hatch to side door.

My thought was the passenger side because should I pop it out for a roadside lunch stop or the like, it wouldn't be in the way. Pull over off a trail a bit, pop it out, and other 4x4's can still drive past.

Anyone considering a Foxwing might think about their mounting options if they have a swing away tire carrier.

By the way, I can see why they retail for $600. It ain't cheap made!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Tymac's Avatar
    Looks good Adondo! If I see 2 of them in Colorado I may just have to buy one. I too am a SG member.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adondo View Post
    Knappster, I looked at your photos again... I see why you went with a driver's side mounting. (e.g. an Australian right hand drive version)

Your tire carrier swings to the passenger side doesn't it?
    My tire carrier hinge is on the driver side but I had not considered that when I ordered the awning. It would be better if it swung the other way but it's too late now.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

More pix.

A surplus army strap works better for me.

From above:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information