Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FoxWing Awning

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Those are awesome guys! I'll probably get one next year when i start bringing the family surf fishing

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I like, now you have me thinking and I wish I had ordered one for the passenger
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Tymac's Avatar
    ARB makes a decent system. Did you guys look into theirs?

Seeing those made me think how cheap it was for my boat canvas. Aluminum tent poles are another $40. I bet you could put together a system for less than $200 and have it cover more or less area as needed. Just a thought.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    I just looked at ARB's site. It looks like a small fraction of the area covered. That same type awning could be had by just buying a Girard or Carefree of Colorado awning from the local RV store and hanging it on the roof rack. You could even get a powered one for a push button deployment. Girard is seen on high end motorcoaches, and magically jut straight out with no visible support. They're expensive though.

The Foxwing has more area than my 10x10 commercial Ez-Up. And, you get coverage over the back end as well as side door. I measured the arm length, and it's 8 1/2' from the Jeep's corner to the awning corner, with a few inches of arm left. The flat sides are a little over 6 1/2' out from the Jeep. I'll have to do some math to see what the square footage is.

As for cost, the Foxwing's material is about as heavy as my boat's Bimini top, it ain't thin nylon tent crap. I'm still learning how to fold it up so the thing doesn't look like a python that just swallowed a rabbit when it's zipped up. That's because the stuff is probably denier 600. The rest of the hardware is heavy duty.

I might order an extension panel, having one off the back end would add to the rear covered area for a nice camp site. Or, put one at the driver's door side for extra that way. SG has them for $58 each.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adondo View Post
    I might order an extension panel, having one off the back end would add to the rear covered area for a nice camp site. Or, put one at the driver's door side for extra that way. SG has them for $58 each.
    I picked up two extensions kits and the sand bag kit when I placed my order.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    I already have sandbags for the 10x10 Ez-Up, so that'll be handy. We used it for art shows in years past. Mom (the artist) is all done with outside shows these days, it's inside or nothing. I guess I might sell it, it is a nice setup, and not the cheap Costco one either. But, it's heavy and a bit much for camp trips. Try lifting a 75 lb. storage bag 'o stuff up onto your roof rack. It just about has to be raining cats and dogs before we decided to get the thing down and set it up.

With the Foxwing, setting up camp is just a matter of ''whipping it out.'' The neatest thing is the side/back coverage, you can get inside the Jeep without getting soaked. (Or sun baked)

Oh yeah, the costs of the ARB awning. The way I see it, is you'd need two $167 awnings, and then you'd still need a tarp stretched across the middle.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information