Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attaching gear to your roof rack

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Attaching gear to your roof rack

I have seen many threads on 'this rack' versus 'that rack' and finally purchased a used rack last year (a Yakima Megawarrior with extension that I got a great deal on).

So what I would love to know from other members is - how do you attach gear to your racks? I know hi-lifts and shovels and other common things have specialty attachments. I have seen those. Does anyone have a better way to do it? A cheaper way?

What type of containers are you putting on your racks? Are you attaching boxes in some cool way other than ratcheting straps? Have you found a particular layout is better for gas mileage, wind noise, or just general being able to pack it?

For example, I found that with my cooler, if I load my cooler so the lid opens to one side of the jeep or the other, I can strap it down to the rack good and tight. I can then use a bungee over the top to hold the lid closed because there is very little force required to just keep it closed. This makes it easy to take out lunch buy just undoing the bungee, instead of taking the time to unstrap and restrap the cooler.

I am sure other must have even better tricks/ideas to share.
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I've found a few DIY methods for attaching hi-lifts that's much cheaper.... basically a few bolts and 2" wide 3/16 steel plate. Ill probably be attaching mine to my rails though to lay it flat and keep it lower profiled.

I like your question about containers and mounting positions. ... looking forward to input from others on this.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    I'm lucky that I have a buddy who works for a large disposal company. He got a pile of surgical stainless steel mesh that was used as a fish screen in a dam. We made a floor for my roof rack from a sheet of it.

There's a gazillion pill-tablet shaped holes, that are perfect for hooking a bungy's hook onto. For things like my full sized shovel that stay there, I use heavy springs. They don't sun rot, and hold tight. Head for the hardware store to get the size you need.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Like this :

seriously, I bought two black storage boxes from Wallyworld. They have a hinged lid and two latches. They arent waterproof so I just use them for camping gear. Found out the first time not to put a bag of marshmallows in there in July. Everything big like that gets strapped with cinch-straps, not ratchets but ones with buckles that you just pull tight. All other stuff gets bungees. I bought 3 big packs of bungees and a dozen cinch straps at Wallyworld. Extras have really come in handy.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I always use what I have laying around or try to make it before buying anything for stuff like this. I use mics parts from lowes to mount my lights and my fishing rod holders as well. For my side lights I just grabbed a bolt and a handful of washers and stuff and made it work.

Fishing rod holders I think the brackets are for a door or something like that

Mounted my side lights like this

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    oh yeah, I made this surf rod holder out of a steel plate and welded on some exhaust tubing. it is bolted to the receiver rack.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Senior Member Getting Dirty CmmdrDan's Avatar
    I had my tool box up there last night. It weighs are 40 lbs. it's an old 40mm ammo box full with just about all I need. I had it held down with to bungees. Drove about 15 miles and it didn't budge. When we went down to the box I had a cargo net, straps and bungees holding things down.

Senior Member Getting Dirty ped4599's Avatar
    Just a note....I found out last summer at WCCC, that no matter how secure and solid everything feels, its going to shift...if you do a lot of crawling with side to side motion, lots of weight up there will take its toll on the rails and the cross members. After Grizzly Lake and Chinaman Gulch I had some bent cross members and the rails were starting to separate in the corners. After many many hours of continuous flopping from side to side over rocks i could tell I had too much weight, all of which i have had up there many times before with no issue regular trails.
    Last edited by ped4599; 01-02-2012 at 02:04 AM.
    2010 Black LIMITED HEMI, Quadra DRIVE II, 2.25 inch RR lift, Off road tires (in garage) MAXXIS 265/70-17 on RUBI rims, 1.5 inch Spydertrax spacers, 4xguard: EVERYTHING I CAN GET MY HANDS ON! ROLA roof rack, RUGGED RIDGE 8500 synthetic winch, and a car seat with a CUTE backseat driver.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Tires way a lot and that high lift aint light either. I never wheeled with stuff up there I usually unload at camp. Except for the light wheeling needed to get to the camp sight.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    The post by ped4599 is quite noteworthy. On the other forum, I think Ahmed started a thread
    regarding mounting tires on the roof rack. In the event of an accident, will the tires stay put?

After reading Ped4599's post about the rack coming apart, I think this is of serious concern.
    Perhaps someone with the ability to research roof top tire mounts should offer a solid stable mount.

Or at least a warning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information