Thread: winch plate modified to bolt onto the front end?

winch plate modified to bolt onto the front end?

so...

i still have my winch plate from when i had my tj. i was trying to see if i could somehow mod it to fit on the front end?

its milemarker plate, so far i cut the ends off to fit the commander bumper.

my plan is to bolt it down on the cross member sitting behind the front bumper fascia and the crush plate (webbed plastic piece)

it look like it'll fit, and sit a little closer as opposed to sticking out too much?

i think that should fit work right?

im planning to bolt it down 3-4xs? plus that, it looks like if i were to put a winch on it, there are 4 additional holes i could use to bolt the winch down on the cross member?

it does look like i may run into a little problem with those 2 bars coming down from the hood hatch?

but really, im just messing around to se if that could work?

i don't want a bumper with all the added weight? and if it can work? im most likely going to get a winch with synthetic rope to cut the weight down?

im not looking to have something i can use to pull my commander out of anything i shouldn't be in? but id like to be able to use it on one of those rare occasions when i would need a little help?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Segon Park cut that cross member out and fabed in new steel and mounted his winch in that spot.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The problem I see with mounting to the re-bar is that the re-bar is designed to crush upon impact. It just isnt designed to be very strong.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

well, i managed to get the plate on. so if i want to go back ill have to by a new front bumper i guess? it sits nice and tight as far as i can tell? but when i actually get a winch again, im gonna want to get something to strengthen the points i bolted it down? overall, i like how it sits closer to the front end?

im not too worried about the boppin anything? i figured if im gonna hit or gonna get hit it oh well?

i am curious? the 2 bars coming down from where the hood latch is? are those important? cause i can fix it to where i can put them back on but when i get a winch i see them not working out so well?

also, its been about 5yrs since i messed with a winch? im looking at getting a either a milemarker cause that's what i had in the past and like it, or a smittybilt? i forgot how heavy they are? the one i had was an 8000lb with wire rope? when i get my next one? im looking to get a synthetic line and a 10000lb winch? isn't the weight difference in two different fields between the wire and synthetic line?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    The only advice I can give you on brand advice is to search for replacement parts and see what available. Some winches you can't get parts so if it brakes you have to toss it. Basic winch advice and gear you can click the link in my sig winching 101

Thread Information