Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Installed Monroe Load Leveling Shocks on Rear

Member Looking for Dirt cprokopf's Avatar
    My MLL are rubbing and squeaking during daily driving. I checked today and both springs are rubbing on the black boot. Doesn't seem like they are mounted straight. Any ideas?
    2006 WK Laredo V6

2" RR Spacer Lift - F-150 Monroe Load Levelers - 265/65/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers - Very Custom Front Tow Hooks - 4XGuard Front Skid - Awesome Husky Floor Mats - K&N

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cprokopf View Post
    My MLL are rubbing and squeaking during daily driving. I checked today and both springs are rubbing on the black boot. Doesn't seem like they are mounted straight. Any ideas?
    Make sure that top cap the spring seats in is seated properly. If pressure from the spring is released that cap comes loose and the spring might not land in it were it belongs. I might have pics of but not sure.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    From what I can tell this is happening at full articulation. So unless your stuffing your tires a lot like we do I thin you'll be ok. Also the on road performance we get with an especially with loads is pretty good. I run without a rear sway bar all the time and don't miss it even with a heavy loaf.
    I will not by any stretch of the imagination. I just wanted to make sure I do not get something that will need to constantly get adjusted/fixed and might not perform as expected. If it is going to squeak and rub, it might not be for me. But then again, it might either be a problem particular to the WK or an installation issue. Thanks
    07 WK Limited, 3.0 CRD, QDII

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelcodex View Post
    I will not by any stretch of the imagination. I just wanted to make sure I do not get something that will need to constantly get adjusted/fixed and might not perform as expected. If it is going to squeak and rub, it might not be for me. But then again, it might either be a problem particular to the WK or an installation issue. Thanks
    I would say don't get the longer ones the stock replacements should be fine for you. I live with the small issues to get the bennifits and at $90 for the pair makes me feel better about as well.

I would say don't get the longer ones the stock replacements should be fine for you. I live with the small issues to get the bennifits and at $90 for the pair makes me feel better about as well.
    Well, I wanted the extra lift and to get rid of the rake, so I was planning on getting the F 150 ones and spacers from the front as someone (I think Matt) recommended previously. The small issues are the squeaks and rub? Do you think that is WK related or somehow an installation issue? I remember reading about using tape to hold some part of the shock would get rid of the squeak (correct me if I am wrong).

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Yeah Sal and I are a bit extreme with what we put these shocks through. I'll probably throw grease on to quiet them down and be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelcodex View Post
    Well, I wanted the extra lift and to get rid of the rake, so I was planning on getting the F 150 ones and spacers from the front as someone (I think Matt) recommended previously. The small issues are the squeaks and rub? Do you think that is WK related or somehow an installation issue? I remember reading about using tape to hold some part of the shock would get rid of the squeak (correct me if I am wrong).
    Well were both getting the squeaks on our XK so not sure what the issues are with the wk. the stock ones still raised an XK which is heavier out back then wk so you should get more lift then Matt got with his stock length ones installed. The tape part is probably tapping the rubber sleeve in place but I don't think that will last to long.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Yeah Sal and I are a bit extreme with what we put these shocks through. I'll probably throw grease on to quiet them down and be good.
    That's eexactly what I do to mine but it only happens to my passenger side. I throw a good glob of marine bearing grease on it and it lasts about 6 months.

Well were both getting the squeaks on our XK so not sure what the issues are with the wk. the stock ones still raised an XK which is heavier out back then wk so you should get more lift then Matt got with his stock length ones installed. The tape part is probably tapping the rubber sleeve in place but I don't think that will last to long.
    Sweeet! Look forward to when I am finally able to do this.

That's eexactly what I do to mine but it only happens to my passenger side. I throw a good glob of marine bearing grease on it and it lasts about 6 months.
    6 months is not bad then. I just don't want to have to spend every other weekend fussing with it. My free time is bad enough as we speak...

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    The tape he's referring to is when I put gorilla glue under the rubber sleeve and then wrapped it with electrical tape to capture the expanding glue.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The tape he's referring to is when I put gorilla glue under the rubber sleeve and then wrapped it with electrical tape to capture the expanding glue.
    Yeah, that's it! Was that so the sleeve would not move = no squeak?

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread Information