Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Installed Monroe Load Leveling Shocks on Rear

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Time for some load leveling shocks
    Probably a good idea, I just dont want to raise the back end at all though, so maybe the size matt got?
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Junior Member Looking for Dirt
    Hey guys. Just came over from the "other forum" after reading the posts here. Seems to be a lot more off road enthusiasts here!

I currently have the Bilstein 5150's on my 06 and they are shot. I saw this thread and the the Monroe load leveling shocks look like they could be a good option.

So my question is which one would you recommend, the stock ones (part number 58646) or the longer ones that Sal has?

I read the information on both and it looks like the ones specifically for the Commander have a spring rate of 37. The longer ones are for an F150 and have a spring rate of 60. Just wondering if they would be too stiff. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Welcome to the forum man, these guys have a wealth of information.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Quote Originally Posted by Holaday07 4.7 View Post
    Welcome to the forum man, these guys have a wealth of information.
    Thanks!

I should mention that I do have a 2" lift right now on the Commander. Need a shock that will allow for proper travel.
    2006 Jeep Commander, 4.7L, QT2, Dark Khaki. Rocky Road lift in front (w/bilstein struts), Old Man Emu HD springs in rear (w/Old Man Emu shocks), Goodyear Duratrac 265/70's on stock rims, AFE CAI, all mopar skids. 4xguard front guard, belly guard, rock rails, and rear sliders.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holaday07 4.7 View Post
    Probably a good idea, I just dont want to raise the back end at all though, so maybe the size matt got?
    Yeah if you don't want to raise the rear much.... get the OEM replacements like I got. As you can see, they get the job done quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie07 View Post
    Hey guys. Just came over from the "other forum" after reading the posts here. Seems to be a lot more off road enthusiasts here!

I currently have the Bilstein 5150's on my 06 and they are shot. I saw this thread and the the Monroe load leveling shocks look like they could be a good option.

So my question is which one would you recommend, the stock ones (part number 58646) or the longer ones that Sal has?

I read the information on both and it looks like the ones specifically for the Commander have a spring rate of 37. The longer ones are for an F150 and have a spring rate of 60. Just wondering if they would be too stiff. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
    Welcome aboard man!

Are you lifted at all or stock height? If stock, definitely get the OEMs. If lifted, you can go either way..... as far as ride quality is concerned I can tell you that the OEM replacements are no issue. I haven't tried the longer version yet so I'm not sure how much stiffer they make it. BUT something to keep in mind is that F150s and XKs have about the same curb weight, and the XK has a lot more weight over the rear axle (unless they're loaded to max capacity.... and even then its close). So I wouldn't let the spring rate scare ya.

Lol just saw your post... must have posted while I was typing (slowly on my phone)

For 2" its going to come down to whether or not you'll mind having the rear about 1-1.5" higher than the front. If you want to stay a bit more level, don't get the longer ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
    Lol just saw your post... must have posted while I was typing (slowly on my phone)

For 2" its going to come down to whether or not you'll mind having the rear about 1-1.5" higher than the front. If you want to stay a bit more level, don't get the longer ones.
    Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

Do you think the stock ones will allow for enough travel when off road? Also, I noticed Sal mention with the longer ones he had to put a LOT of weight on the rear to even get out of his garage. I still have room to go up and still fit into my garage, so that is not a problem. Just wondering how stiff his rides while empty in the back?

With the OME HD springs in the rear the suspension is already stiffened up quite a bit (in a good way). Now I just need to get rid of the bouncy feeling from my current shocks.
    2006 Jeep Commander, 4.7L, QT2, Dark Khaki. Rocky Road lift in front (w/bilstein struts), Old Man Emu HD springs in rear (w/Old Man Emu shocks), Goodyear Duratrac 265/70's on stock rims, AFE CAI, all mopar skids. 4xguard front guard, belly guard, rock rails, and rear sliders.

Senior Member Getting Dirty CmmdrDan's Avatar
    Matt when you get ready for the new ones. Id like to take the old ones off your hands.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I like the empty ride I got from these shocks I think it stiffened them up to a comfortable level. Going over bumps dips and off road has no become more comfortable then ever before. Of course fully loaded and I mean 1200LBS loaded the XK drove and reacted great. This is one of those mods I wished I would of done a long time ago. They also allow the rear to flex to it's max with the sway bar disconnected it flexes just short of messing with the brake lines on the passenger side and puts the upper arm on the fuel tank skid on the driver side.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie07 View Post
    Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

Do you think the stock ones will allow for enough travel when off road? Also, I noticed Sal mention with the longer ones he had to put a LOT of weight on the rear to even get out of his garage. I still have room to go up and still fit into my garage, so that is not a problem. Just wondering how stiff his rides while empty in the back?

With the OME HD springs in the rear the suspension is already stiffened up quite a bit (in a good way). Now I just need to get rid of the bouncy feeling from my current shocks.
    So you're not looking for increasing the height or stopping the rear from sagging since you have the OME HD springs right? If that's the case and you just want to improve the ride and increase travel, you may be better off with the 2" longer OME shocks.

What's your front setup like? OME HD springs And struts?

Quote Originally Posted by CmmdrDan View Post
    Matt when you get ready for the new ones. Id like to take the old ones off your hands.
    If I get the longer ones it'll only be because I'm trading the OEM replacements to a local WK owner who is "trying" the longer ones but worried about ride. He asked me if we could do a trade if they're too stiff.

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread Information