Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Offroad lights on roof racks.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Wow if you're burning up relays that quick something is wrong with the wiring. 12awg should be plenty for those KCs. Try running 5 pin relays and a power feed to each light. Also make sure you have good grounds all around.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    I have a few lights up on top.

The forward lights are 5x7 driving lights. (About 1.5 times larger than the typical driving light)

The half round pipe is black 4'' ABS split lengthwise, and is a wind breaker for the rack. It helps get rid of the ''banshee screams'' at highway speeds.

The rest are a set of rear facing 4'' floods for backing up, a set of sideways facing alley lights, and a set of amber flashing lights on the back. Those alternate flash. People tend to slow down when they come up on those because the alternating flashing lights look like a cop car. With standard hazards only, people whiz past at 75 MPH.

On edit: Wow that's an old photo! It still has the OEM spoke wheels and little tires!
    Last edited by Adondo; 04-22-2011 at 12:05 PM.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
    txbaja..do you have a higher amp alternator? I would like to know about your install and wiring. Wire gauges
    etc. I have burnt up 2 relays and use only 2 lights per relay. The first was a 30 amp, 2nd was a 40. I switched
    to heavier wire after the 2nd relay melted. (from 12 to 10)
    What you need are the large relays (solenoids) like we use in cop car builds. Here's an example:
    http://www.oznium.com/relay80
    The material is bakelite and doesn't melt.

Another reason for massive relays beyond what you think are needed is high wattage bulbs have a huge start up current. Otherwise known as "cold filament surge." Your 100 watt lights may draw about 8 amps (each) while running, but it will briefly take about 40 to 50 amps to get that cold filament heated up. Such is life for incandescent bulbs. Running a 100 watt light with the usual Bosch relay is the contacts will weld themselves due to the starting surge.
    Last edited by Adondo; 04-22-2011 at 12:06 PM.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    I have 4 sets of lights. 1st shorted and the second one just did't like me I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adondo View Post
    What you need are the large relays (solenoids) like we use in cop car builds. Here's an example:
    http://www.oznium.com/relay80
    The material is bakelite and doesn't melt.

Another reason for massive relays beyond what you think are needed is high wattage bulbs have a huge start up current. Otherwise known as "cold filament surge." Your 100 watt lights may draw about 8 amps ..... Running a 100 watt light with the usual Bosch relay is the contacts will weld themselves due to the starting surge.
    I have 4 150 watt lights on top.They are split into 2 sets.
    Adondo, Thanks for link on the heavier relay...I will look into this.
    Last edited by cico7; 04-22-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Member Looking for Dirt txbajacommander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
    Yeah but, can you vaporize a Saturn? I like the yellow lights. Do they keep the bugs off? Are they yellow
    bulbs or a cover? Just kidding about the bug thing I really do like the yellow lights.

What are the roof lights? The mount is interesting. Phunkey Dude had a nice system on his XK. I like the
    idea of being able to change the angle of the lights. I enjoy the Baja1000 and they have some wild lighting
    systems. I saw one with a motorized bar that would tilt the lights.

txbaja..do you have a higher amp alternator? I would like to know about your install and wiring. Wire gauges
    etc. I have burnt up 2 relays and use only 2 lights per relay. The first was a 30 amp, 2nd was a 40. I switched
    to heavier wire after the 2nd relay melted. (from 12 to 10)
    The 4 lights on top are wired up with baja designs wiring harnesses. they have a relay and inline fuse. I'll have to check on the amps of the relay and wire gage,(i'm guessing 10 or 12) the 4 lights on top are 100watt. the 2 4" fuegos (100 watt) are wired in to my old fog lights, I just changed the plug. The 2 6" HID's are wired with a baja designs harness. I don't have a higher amp alt. as of yet, but have an Optima red top battery. The lights have a l to r and up and down adj. wich is cool. no motorized unit here. Baja Designs is a supplier to a lot of SCORE teams. I'll check on my harness specs. and post up. Also the 6" HID's are just an amber lens, I can switch back to clear. the amber in off-road racing is good for dust. since I don't race mine is just for looks. Although they are still bright.
    Last edited by txbajacommander; 04-22-2011 at 07:02 PM.

Oh, BTW I'll check and see if I can vaporize another vehicle tonite!!

Thanks for all the replies guys! These setups are looking great!

I'm planning 4 on the front, at least one or two square lights on each side and then two square lights on the back. I want the side & back lights to somewhat blend in to the rack. Going to do a 3 switch setup with that as well.

I really like those Baja Design lights. I'll probably run 4 of the 8" Soltek 100w driving lights up front.. Or put two of the 100w spot lights on the ends and the driving lights in the middle (hmmm, then run them on 2 switches... that might work best)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys! These setups are looking great!

I'm planning 4 on the front, at least one or two square lights on each side and then two square lights on the back. I want the side & back lights to somewhat blend in to the rack. Going to do a 3 switch setup with that as well.

I really like those Baja Design lights. I'll probably run 4 of the 8" Soltek 100w driving lights up front.. Or put two of the 100w spot lights on the ends and the driving lights in the middle (hmmm, then run them on 2 switches... that might work best)
    Hmmm, that sounds like a good set up to me. I have the halogens, are you going with those or the HID's .......

Definitely the Halogens. The HID's are waaaaaaaaay too expensive to even blink at.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Hey right now I have 6 lights 4 up top an 2 on my bumper but they are the garbage pilot lights from autozone. Eventually I plan on getting rid of the roof rack and I am not sure what i'll do up there so I need to find 4 for the bumper. I like the look of the 2 yellow and 2 clear. My question is whether anyone has used the hella black magic and how good they are. I want something extremely bright but price is definitely an issue. So just looking for recommendations.
    4.7L v8 QTII, Flowmaster Super 44, Jet Chip: Stage 1, Remote Start, 2.25" Rocky Road lift W/ shocks, .5" Rusty Off Road Strut Spacer, Midland CB Radio, PA Speaker,265/70/17 BFG Km2 Mud Terrain, XD Addict 17x9 Rims, Custom Roof Rack W/ 6 Off Road Lights, Custom Blue Lighting, Custom Front Bumper, Sony Head unit, Power Acoustic Amp, Alpine Type R Speakers (Waiting on Arrival), Upgraded Headlights Bulbs 3000K

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information