Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Offroad lights on roof racks.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
    How did all you guys run your wiring through?
    Oh, wouldn't you like to know ? LOL ! I have to run but I will be back later to ntell you how I did it.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
    How did all you guys run your wiring through?
    I removed the front cap from the side rails and drilled a hole into the roof, I them installed a rubber grommet to protect the wires and ran the wires through that hole including a CB antenna wire, I then used silicon sealer to keep the water out and reinstalled the end cap.

I nice thing about doing it this way was that now that I have temporarily removed my lights and antenna I can lay the wire down the side rail and no one can see them and they are not in the way.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I ran all wiring in behind dash, behind drivers side kick panel, under carpet toward the back of the Jeep, behind the rear interior trim where the rear ac controls are. The wiring exits thru a factory hole located below the tailights then goes up behind the tailight, behind the rear grab handle or black plastic trim ( whichever you have ) , then underneath the plastic finishing trim piece at the rear of the roof rack rail. I then have plugs so that I can remove my basket and lights. When the basket is removed I lay the plugs down inside the roof rack rail. All connections are soldered and shrink wrapped. The in-line fuses and relays are behind drivers kick panel. The grounds are attached under the dash and the hot wires are routed thru the factory grommet beside the steering column and attached directly to the battery. Sorry, I don't have the pics handy, my Photobucket page went tits-up.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    While everyone else was doing theres the clean and nice way I just have mine run under the weather stripping in the back door behind driver then behind the weather stripping into where the seat best comes out. From there I took it down along the bottom of the door and under the plastic that runs along the door with the step piece (cant think of way to describe it) then just up through the firewall and to the battery.
    4.7L v8 QTII, Flowmaster Super 44, Jet Chip: Stage 1, Remote Start, 2.25" Rocky Road lift W/ shocks, .5" Rusty Off Road Strut Spacer, Midland CB Radio, PA Speaker,265/70/17 BFG Km2 Mud Terrain, XD Addict 17x9 Rims, Custom Roof Rack W/ 6 Off Road Lights, Custom Blue Lighting, Custom Front Bumper, Sony Head unit, Power Acoustic Amp, Alpine Type R Speakers (Waiting on Arrival), Upgraded Headlights Bulbs 3000K

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    IamJeep = This is essentially what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    I removed the front cap from the side rails and drilled a hole into the roof,
    I them installed a rubber grommet to protect the wires and ran the wires through that hole including
    a CB antenna wire, I then used silicon sealer to keep the water out and reinstalled the end cap.

I nice thing about doing it this way was that now that I have temporarily removed my lights and
    antenna I can lay the wire down the side rail and no one can see them and they are not in the way.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
    IamJeep = This is essentially what I did.
    Thanks Don, you've been a lot of help.....I appretiate it.
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    defender rack guys
    What's the height of the rack above the roof? From top of rack to top of roof. Trying to get a garage measurement.

Member Looking for Dirt txbajacommander's Avatar
    From the roof, right next to the side rail my rack is 8 3/4" tall. with the lights about 17". also I ran my roof lights wiring behind the weather stripping back into the vehicle. My front lights I ran though a rubber grommet on the drivers side floor. I couldn't find anywhere in the fire wall. I post up pics later.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    I made a ''relay farm'' in the trim area in the back end, on the driver's side. The relay wiring to the front is just a small data cable with a dozen #20 AWG wires for the relay controls, and a #6 AWG to feed the relay's. All my dash switches are connected to the small control wiring, and carry almost no current. There's also a few #16's to feed the RV light wiring setup. (For being towed behind the motorcoach)

I used an 80 amp circuit breaker on the #6 up front, and that big wire feeds a fuse block that powers the relays. Everything in the back is mounted on a piece of plywood, and it can be pulled up and out of the trim area by removing the cup holder on top.

I followed the OEM wiring loom up the rear pillar on the driver's side. I drilled a 3/4" hole in the roof and set in a grommet. My bundle terminates in a 15 pin Molex connector, so I can remove the roof rack if needed.

Last edited by Adondo; 05-04-2011 at 12:12 PM.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Member Looking for Dirt txbajacommander's Avatar
    That's a nice set up. I don't have the electrical knowledge to figure something like that out.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information