Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Welders?

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    I've got a cheapy Harbor Freight 90 amp mig welder. I haven't done a lot with it, but I did make a roof rack for next to my Yakima Skybox.. it didn't fall apart even running the Mojave Trail and we were bouncing down it pretty good at speed..

I have no idea how long it will last, I know it's not a "quality" welder, but it's done exactly what I wanted and it was right around $100. No need to wire the garage for 220 either. I have two more projects in my head but I'm not sure when I will start either one. But so far for everything I've done and think I will do it's the perfect BS tool. If it breaks it was still worth the $100 at this point.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    If you get a smaller one then it might be possible to run it off of the XK while on trail so it pulls double duty. Not sure how possible this is will have to do some research into how power these things take.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    If you get a smaller one then it might be possible to run it off of the XK while on trail so it pulls double duty. Not sure how possible this is will have to do some research into how power these things take.
    In your case since you have dual batteries you would be better off learning to stick weld. You can do that with just wiring and flux. (I think I'm saying the right things, I'm just repeating what I've heard I don't know anything about it actually)

Quote Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
    In your case since you have dual batteries you would be better off learning to stick weld. You can do that with just wiring and flux. (I think I'm saying the right things, I'm just repeating what I've heard I don't know anything about it actually)
    I've heard of that. People using stick welding off of a battery. Not sure how it's done I'll look it up.

Found this on youtube. He uses three batteries but he's using a very thick stick. I think getting smaller stick the 24 volts might be enough to do a weld.

Check this guys site out he made a few pretty nice how to videos for welding

http://kevincaron.com/videos.html

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    You just cant control the heat when you use batteries. I've seen people do rudimentary emergency welding with two batteries. It works but it's just a bit harder to make anything nice.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Quote Originally Posted by superacerc View Post
    You just cant control the heat when you use batteries. I've seen people do rudimentary emergency welding with two batteries. It works but it's just a bit harder to make anything nice.
    It defiantly does not take the place of a real welder, but Sal was talking about the possibility of using a small welder trail side which I think is a huge waste of space when you could just carry some wires and sticks and weld good enough to get home.

And my cheap HF welder only has 2 heat settings so it isn't much better

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    ^Absolutely. My dad has a pair of "jumper cables" made out of welding leads. Something nice and heavy duty like this would be a good way to accomplish double duty of having jumper cables and if you throw a few steel welding rods in to use for welding as well.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

The battery idea is just for trail repairs when its weld it or walk out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information