Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Welders?

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Ok anymore input on this subject I think I will be getting my welder next month. So far it seems were voting on the MIG welder.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Tymac's Avatar
    For light duty repairs I like my Lincoln 140 Mig. Plug it into any 110v outlet and connect a small bottle and you can weld up to 1/4. If you pre-heat the metal with a torch you can weld thicker material.

I built a couple of things and I usually tack them together, test fit, make adjustments and then send them out to a professional for a final weld.

I'm going to look for a light duty one that runs off a 110 outlet as well.

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    I got a Lincoln Electric SP-135 years ago for $600 - wire feed, with the solenoid and regulator if I want to do MIG (I have only used flux core in it up til now), coninuously variable feed and current (no detents at A, B, C, etc), plugs into 110 but it needs to be a 30 amp circuit or you will keep tripping the breaker when doing thick stuff.

I managed to weld 3/4" plate to 1/4" plate cold rolled steel! It's not a pretty weld but it held up when dragging the Commander as dead weight behind my brother-in-law's bulldozer to test it.

Anyone else want to chime in on this thread it's starting to get cold out so I'm looking to get one soon to get some projects done this winter.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Harbour Freight has low priced welders.
    But do you want a cheapie light duty or
    Solid more expensive one?

Quote Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
    Harbour Freight has low priced welders.
    But do you want a cheapie light duty or
    Solid more expensive one?
    Some where in the middle I think. Don't want the cheapest one that will break or not get the job done and I don't need the best that can hold up to like a shop work load either.

Senior Member Getting Dirty criket's Avatar
    What I hear from the guys at work is that one of the cheapest/best set up is a MIG with gas tanks. That's what I'm getting for my garage at somepoint.

But it all boils down to what will it be used for the most.
    SOLD - 2005 | WK | Khaki | 3.7 | QT1 | OME HD Front Struts | Rusty's 2" lift in Rear w/ Monroe load levelers (F150 version) | 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers | 17" Moabs | 1.5" wheel spacers | Pinch weld mod | Rear fender trim mod | 4xG Matrix w/ reciever hitch | 4xG Belly guard | SOLID Diff cover | Cobra CB radio | 4xG CB radio antenna mount

I'm set on getting Mig now for sure. Now I need to figure out what brand to get? I seen some that will go up to 1/4 steel and I think that's plenty thick.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Check out extreme 4x on the powerblock network, they did a show a while back on selecting the best welder for your needs. You can view it on line.

http://www.powerblocktv.com/site3/in...04&ep_sea=1001

http://www.powerblocktv.com/site3/in...11&ep_sea=1101
    Last edited by Knappster; 12-26-2011 at 06:58 PM.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information