Thread: Fuel Tank Skid Install

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar

Fuel Tank Skid Install

First thing I did was make sure I ran the gas down as far as I could without getting stranded. The fuel light came on so that should of gave me 4 gallons left so I pushed it a little farther and figured I was down to 3 gallons and I could handle that. Second, run to the auto parts store and pick up some plastic clips for the quick connect plugs for the fuel lines. Regardless if you have the tool to disconnect these properly or not its a good idea I broke one and one was to old and wouldn't clip up correctly so I replaced two of these this is what I used. Yes it says ford/GM on it but it's an exact replacement for ours go figure.

Ok now on to the fuel tank.

1. Don't put the bracket the on that comes with the fuel tank leave it off. It's the only bracket not welded to the skid. You will see why when you drop the fuel tank.

1A. Disconnect the battery, if the fuel system gets power while your doing this not good.
    Also make sure you're well ventilated, between the fuel and chemicals (brake clean) to clean the parts the fumes can get bad. It's a good idea if you still have one mounted to drop your spare tire. Way easier with that out of the way.

2. Release the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. On the passenger side of the rail you will see the plastic cap looks like the ones on your air stem for tires.
    2A. 5.7L bleed the fuel line pressure for the Hemi by pulling the fuel pump fuse and running the lines dry.

I just stuck my finger nail in there like letting air out of a tire and the fuel squirted out. Just a little comes out the pressure is not much.

2. I went and loosened all the bolts first to make sure they would break free. No need messing with plastic clips and your rig if any of the bolts are stuck. I don't have any rust so I was good no problems, but if you live up north you might want to hit the bolts with some type of penetrating spray at least the night before.

This is the hardest bolt to get to but as you can see you can get ratchet in there to get to the bolt. You will have to take you tool off before the bolt is all the way out it gets wedged on the drive shaft so finish by hand.

Passenger side rear bolt just use a long extension and you can use your impact to knock this one out.
    Last edited by Sal-XK; 05-10-2011 at 08:04 AM.

Thread Information