Thread: Fuel Tank Skid Install

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    3. Time disconnect some fuel lines. But first disconnect this bracket in the rear by the spare tire so you have some play in the rear lines. Now clean all the connections so no dirt gets in your fuel lines. I used brake clean to do mine.

4 Disconnect these two lines in the rear of the fuel tank

I left this one connected here

Because I disconnected the other end here before you drop the tank.

4A. Just to the right of the fuel lines in the rear is a plug that needs to be unplugged. You can see the two holes it came from it just pules right out of there. There is a red clip you need to remove and the plug will come apart.

5. Feel the top of the tank and remove the two lines from the clips. They just pull right out of there.

6. Disconnect the two lines in the front of the fuel tank. The one of the right in the picture has an extra red clip that needs to be removed and is also the line that will leak on you.

7. Now the bracket I told you not to put on needs to come off the old skid first before you try dropping it. This will make it much easier to wiggle the thing out. Now that you have it all disconnected you can take out the bolts and drop the tank. If you don't have help you can use a floor jack to help you do this. I just dropped the tank on top of me and then put it down my jack was to small and I was doing this solo. Thats it reverse the process and torque the bolts to 80 foot pounds and you're good. Putting the tank in solo was a PITA. I used my jack to get one end in the air then lifted the other up and put two these two bolts in her first.

With the passenger side brackets resting on the drive shaft and these two bolts in the fuel tank wasn't going anywhere. Then some pushing and lifting and sweating to get the other bolts in. Don't forget to put the bracket on I told you to leave off its the last one I put on.

8. Reconnect your battery and turn the key to on. The fuel system will pressure up look for leaks. Then turn the jeep on and once again check for leaks. No leaks then you're done.
    Last edited by Sal-XK; 04-24-2011 at 09:05 PM.

Thread Information