Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Commander Skids and Armor

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    You could buy a piece of hitch tubing (the square bit with holes in it) and fab some plates that curve down under the XK for protection.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    I like that Idea....where can I get some of that stock?

Quote Originally Posted by superacerc View Post
    You could buy a piece of hitch tubing (the square bit with holes in it) and fab some plates that curve down under the XK for protection.

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    Your local steel yard will have it in lengths without holes in it for cheap. 2" x 2" square tubing.. I'm not sure what the thickness should be, but I'd guess since we are talking about the weight of the commander dropping down on it, 1/4" I don't think there is anything thicker without going to a solid piece of steel. Solid is quite a bit more expensive though. http://www.metalsdepot.com will give you some prices, they are pretty high compared to what I could get locally though even if I didn't have to pay shipping.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    1/8 square stock would be good 3/16 would be better. So 10 gauge would be about 1/8 I think, wheres Doc? Anyway those are the two sizes I see in skids the most which in square stock would be even stronger so I don't think you need to go any thicker.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information