Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Commander Skids and Armor

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    Next in my book is the front guard. It's very affordable and it prevents damage to radiator/condenser. In places i offroad where you have to drive through some water/mud, you're very prone to a large stick or something popping up and getting caught in that area (i've seen it happen).
    Ah I haven't seen much water/mud in the offroading I've done so I don't think about that. I'm in the rocks/desert so I drive up and know what I'm getting into. Slow drive up to a rock to crawl over it not a whole lot is going to happen to the front end as long as I'm taking it slow.

I didn't mean to imply you were saying that Sal, I just wanted to nip it before it did happen to/from anyone since there is so many variables in location of offroading.

When I hit my diff I did manage to cause a leak, it was minor so I drove it without a problem but it did leak.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
    I didn't mean to imply you were saying that Sal, I just wanted to nip it before it did happen to/from anyone since there is so many variables in location of offroading.

When I hit my diff I did manage to cause a leak, it was minor so I drove it without a problem but it did leak.
    Man you must of come down on that thing pretty hard to cause a leak. I landed on mine and dragged it down a rock and had no issues. I'm not sure but by looking at the pictures from 4xguard it just looks like the guard only protects the cover from being smashed into the gears not from peeling it back we might need to get some feed back on this from them. I would think you could just weld a piece of steel to the bottom of the diff that over hung past the cover a little bit so you could just slide right off. I'm just brain storming I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Man you must of come down on that thing pretty hard to cause a leak. I landed on mine and dragged it down a rock and had no issues. I'm not sure but by looking at the pictures from 4xguard it just looks like the guard only protects the cover from being smashed into the gears not from peeling it back we might need to get some feed back on this from them. I would think you could just weld a piece of steel to the bottom of the diff that over hung past the cover a little bit so you could just slide right off. I'm just brain storming I guess.
    I didn't come down on it, I dragged it across a rock and then backed up. It didn't peel it back, but it was enough to break the silicone gasket and cause the leak. That is why I'm anxiously awaiting someone to make a yoke/diff slider more than anything else, I expect it to be $150ish and then it only takes 3 of my opps to pay for itself since synthetic gear oil is so much.

I asked 4x and they apparently have a model no plans to make a diff slider. I'm sure I could fab something up, but I'm hoping for a quality product from someone

I think a diff slider can be way easy to fab up bro. I bet since its your rig you will probably end up with something more functional then what someone will make and charge us $200 for. A solid piece of metal 12" long curved on both ends so you get on and off of it smoothly. Same can be said really for the rear sliders as well. You could weld some metal to the rails back there.

I'm not a good enough fabricator to make something easily removable to still be able to change the fluid. Believe me I've looked, as soon as someone else makes it I might be able to replicated, but I haven't figure it out yet.

Same goes for rear sliders, I could make something nasty looking I'm sure for about half the price of 4x sliders, but for as nasty as it would look and my time, I'd just pay for a quality product.

Dude at $300 for sliders I think you can make some for a lot less then half. If you spent $100 including paint I would be shocked. Grab some scrap and just start hacking at it bro and see what happens. I'll look into making some this winter as well as a diff guard when I get back to modding my jeep for the next 4 month's I'll be out wheeling it. Unless I get bored, whom I kidding I can't go that long without a mod LOL

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Kiss and make up. you werent arguing just pointing out the flaws in each others character.
    No harm no foul right? Cheeze guys.....
    Look at it this way. Field a baseball team. Which player do you want to do without?

None of them. Sal, Chicago has never had a baseball team so you might not get this analogy.

Why isn't analogy the study of anals?

I had to place them in an order of importance, have you ever seen Cyborg with VanDam?
    Doesnt make a lot of sense was poorly put together.

So importance, 1) What can i afford first? That is the first one to go on and the easiest.
    next-rear diff guard, then the belly guard all in a manner of priorities.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    I always make sure to have my very prominent hitch on my jeep. I've got a hitch that is a special drop down model that's adjustable via 3 large pins and the metal bar can hold all the weight of my jeep. I've come down on some rocks that would tear off my rear bumper but because I leave that on there it hits first and slides right off. This has protected my rear bumper from being torn off several times. (always sounds like you just killed the jeep when it lands on that hitch though and you get out and look and not a scratch on the jeep and some little ones on the super thick steel bar that makes up my hitch.

You can see here how it hangs. It's slid out to the second setting so it looks like it's hanging out a ways but i only do this to keep it from rattling while i'm on the road. I slide it in about 2-3 inches to second set of holes and it pushes up under the jeep more. This always hits before my factory slider area that goes around the spare tire area.

Works great as a rear bumper as well. If anyone hits that in a not too terrible manner, They'll have a ruined hood/front bumper and i'll feel a nudge.

I still want all other skids though!!! ANyone got some extra money?
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Hrm.. with some fab work on that as a starting platform I can see making a decent rear slider. I might have to give that some more serious thought.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information