Page 10 of 56 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Sal-XK's Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    No metal mesh it's pretty much all plastic. This is not the final resting spot either I'm still working on completing the mod

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I would recommend insulating that positive terminal.

Metal isn't the "only" electrical conductor there is. That's a potential fire risk.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    it would be an intersting show!

That's probably angood idea. The filter isn't touching any terminals and has some room before it touches the batterry it's self as well. But not done yet I still have parts to put on.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    Are you making or installing some type of heat shield? Seams like you're just sucking hot engine air in..........?
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What happened to the top secret Hmmwv snorkel idea ?
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Ok first things first, I did this or started this out of necessity. My stock intake was taking in water and mud every chance it got so something needed to be done. I also wanted a second battery so all store bought CAI were out off the table. Cold air hot air what ever I will take either one over water and mud. So for emergency purposes I did this one.

Now the hot air I was sucking in didn't bother me or my XK's temperature or fuel economy. What needed to be done first was get my crank case back under vacuum instead of just venting normally. So thats were the latest mod came in I posted above. The hole thing was done early before I could gather all the parts I needed and design the stove top (hummer) snorkel I was planning. This is not the final product but I consider this more of a patch to get me buy until I come up with something else. Also before you say get a snorkel I can't. The snorkel uses the stock intake box and location which would kill my second battery. So for now I will make a few more changes to what I got and make it work to get me by. The sad part is how much water and mud I sucked up considering how little water and mud I went threw.

I joked with the wife that I would just cut a hole in the back corner of my hood and shove that cone filter threw it. Then though about Mmmmm......

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    Well, if you dont see any drop in fuel economy or performance, then I dont see a problem with it the way it sits.

Are you having any issues with your alternator charging both batteries?

Nice mod, btw.
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    Well, if you dont see any drop in fuel economy or performance, then I dont see a problem with it the way it sits.

Are you having any issues with your alternator charging both batteries?

Nice mod, btw.
    Actually from stock to just plugging in that filter I saw slight gains in MPG's and throttle response. After I moved it forward I felt a larger gain in throttle response like I picked up some HP. I think because I'm missing most of my wheel well most of my bumper I get a lot of fresh air at that location so I think that has something to do with it. On the battery I haven't purchased the battery isolator yet. With the amount I've spent last couple of months plus the pre-run to Uwharrie and then the actual event plus the light bar battery parts and so on I think I will wait a bit for that. Right now I just keep it charged from the wall and will jumper cables if I every run down the primary battery to connect the two to get me going.

Ok I got the filter as far from the battery as it's going get right now. It's tight in the bracket I don't think it will move now and shouldn't touch the positive terminal and it can't reach the negative one at all. Thanks for all the replies if anyone has an idea besides purchasing a snorkel let me know.

Page 10 of 56 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread Information