Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Sal-XK's Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar

inverter install

I it was a pleasant 70 degrees today so I went home early so I could get this mod started. Here are some pics so you can see whats behind there

Ok so got the panel off like most the stuff on the XK it pops off with a little force. Next I decided to use the actual outlet from the inverter it self instead of putting another one in and connecting them some how. So I had to take the inverter apart to accomplish this.

Then I figured out the wires were not long enough to reach the panel and mount the outlet so I needed to extend them and of course I'm out of wire so to the store I go.
    Extended Wiring, The blue wire you see is the wire I added. Not the best solder job but it will hold anyway.

Next I traced out the outlet on the panel and used my dremel to cut the shape out.

I screwed the outlet into the panel and mounted the inverter with velcro to the panel. This stuff is strong its actually ridiculous to try and pull apart.

Now the finished product

I ran the wires up the side of the center counsel tucking all the wires inside the counsel. I left the wires inside my dash for now it got late so I'll tie them in on the next nice day we have. It will have full time power regardless if the jeep is on or not.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Very nice, thanks for sharing the project with us.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    I like your inverter installation. And... it looks like if you have the heater fan on, it'll get good forced cooling air too.

The backup lights on a roof rack are a ''must have'' for off-roading. The first time you back up while off road you'll discover the OEM backup lights just shine off into oblivion. They're only good for seeing another car in a parking lot, or the picnic table you're about to hit. They won't show the hole or rut you're about to drop into. You gotta' see the ground you're about to drive onto, and high mounted floods work great.

What are those, by the way? They look like LED floods.

Oh yeah, your spoke wheels... did you paint the spokes gray? They look great, much better than stock.
    Last edited by Adondo; 02-03-2011 at 04:20 PM.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

I agree with the need for lights on the back of your rack it should be the first lights you put on IMO. The lights are $20 walmart lights nothing special. My wheels are stock I like them too I was going to replace them but I really like the look of them. Which puts me in a difficult decision making situation, I need and would like a much wider stance but don't want to run spacers because I'm thinking of coming out 2".

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    That's one of the reasons I went with the Ultrasport wheels. There were a few.

A) Eliminate the ''soccer mom" look.

B) Eliminate the "guillotine effect" of having the spokes on the very outer edge of the rim. They pick up rocks etc. I was forever hearing the screech of yet another rock stuck in my brakes.

C) Eliminate the ice collection problem. (Related to problem B)

D) Widen the stance. The stance is over 4" wider now. (About 2" per side... the tires are slightly past the fender well edges now)
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

As some of you may know I have been planing to make my own intake out of the stock one making it more water resistant. So I spent last night modifying my XK I put my recovery hooks in as well.

So I pulled the intake out and sure enough my filter once again has mud on it

This is what I'm talking about the stock system is just junk. Well after some thinking and fitting and I decided my plan won't work the way I wanted it to. The open space is perfect for a spare battery which is more important to me. So I came up with plan B. Not my best idea but it will get me by until I can get some pipe bent to put the filter where I want it some where in the back along the fire wall.

I know it will be sucking in hot air but as long as its dry air I don't care at this point. I'm guessing a little hot air is better then hydro locking the engine. That was my third filter since May 2010 and I avoid mud as much as possible thats what kills me.

OK so I also got around to installing the front hooks Don sent me.

I used all Grade 8 hard ware and lock tight on the threads. The bolt closest to the front had to be drilled there was no hole.

So you have to take the grill and bumper off to do these little things no big deal. But I really liked the way my XK looked with out that giant plastic bumper. chop the fenders and your good.

So that got me thinking so I decided to trim the front bumper to better match the style of the XK and my own taste.

This is the direction I'm headed in at present the wheel can approach a 15" rock after the cutting I should be able to approach a 25" rock

So far this is where we stopped cutting and like were it's at for now until we get out of the garage and get a good look at how it looks.

I'm not done my friend is coming back this morning to help me finish up but we think we have what were looking for. We still might cut more not sure won't be able to tell untill both sides are done and I can get a good look at it.

more pictures and stuff are here in this threa
    Last edited by Sal-XK; 04-18-2011 at 07:22 PM.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    You are building a top notch off road XK!
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    You are building a top notch off road XK!
    Thank you I'm ordering my 4XGuard front skid and belly guard today for my B-day present.

Here is the finished product all put back togeather I think it turned out better then I thought it would.
    Before

after

Stock fender before I cut it up.

after

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Sal, I like your cut out look, does this leave anything loose or vibrating? I saw you instqalled your hooks
    up, can you get to them? If you put a strap on it, will it damage your bumper?

Quote Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
    Sal, I like your cut out look, does this leave anything loose or vibrating? I saw you instqalled your hooks
    up, can you get to them? If you put a strap on it, will it damage your bumper?
    No nothing is loose it worked out real nice. The fenders got cut just below a clip so thats stable and the bolts on the bottom of the bumper were maintained. The filter I put on gave the 4.7L a little growl. The hooks pretty much need to be installed pointing down but I gave it a try. I would have to cut to much bumper off to expose them the way I have them installed right now. I'm just leaving them right now until I figure something out because I don't want them pointing down and I do plan I getting shackles so not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread Information