Page 4 of 56 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Sal-XK's Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar

4xGuard Skids

Went out to install my new 4xguard front and belly skids today. First once again I got my shipment fast it arrived in three business days. I started on the belly guard first I had one friend over who had helped me cut up the front bumper and stuff. Once I figured out which bolts went where it wasn't to bad at all. Except for the bolt on the passenger side that comes with the stick thing (nut on a stick) that you hold and it has a threaded hole to bolt the skid up. Great idea but I couldn't hold or put enough pressure downward to get the thread bolted in, it would just push the nut on a stick away. I used a string that I looped threw the so I could pull down on the stick to keep the nut part in place.

Now on to the front skid. Some issues installing this which I thought it would be the easiest one to do. The hose relocation bracket didn't work out the sway bar was in the way. The funny part is I ended up putting the hose bracket right back where it belonged the stock location worked fine. Slightly disappointed that some of the hardware wasn't grade 5 not sure what class it was. Reusing the bottom bumper bolts made me uncomfortable when paired with the self tapping bolts that came with it. I over do everything so this is just me I decided not to use the self tapping screws and just drilled my own holes and used grade 5 nuts and bolts with a healthy heaping of Lock tight the red bottle. While I was at it I turned my hooks upside down (Grade 8 hardware) not happy I had to but they didn't fit any other way. So I trimmed and mounted the bumper what seemed like several times, the hooks just kept hitting the bumper.

Any way took a couple of hours wasn't hard and I had fun doing it. The skids look awesome and gave the XK a new look a meaner look especially with my trimmed bumper. The belly guard lined up perfectly with all the holes the front skid did as well. So now I can't wait to get out and put these threw some abuse

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am glad to see you added 4XGuard to your rig so I could see what mine would look like. Now my problem is I think you have added another project to my "to do" list. That looks awesome and I want it!
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Is your concern about the hooks being pointed down that the strap may slide off ? Try to fab a little spring clip like this. Seems pretty simple and would do the trick.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Thats exactly my concern and that is a good idea. Great now my bumper has to come off again LOL

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    lol
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    My hooks are turned down and I havent had any trouble with them.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Careful when you pull on those hooks. When I was offroad the other day and had the transmission problem i had to have a little pull. You have to pull straight forward on the hooks or they will twist some. I tried to tie one rope around both and that was a bad idea. It pulled them both towards the center in a sideways fashion. I switched the rope up and pulled with one only and that one straightened back out and was able to hold the weight of the entire vehicle going uphill.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Quote Originally Posted by superacerc View Post
    Careful when you pull on those hooks. When I was offroad the other day and had the transmission problem i had to have a little pull. You have to pull straight forward on the hooks or they will twist some. I tried to tie one rope around both and that was a bad idea. It pulled them both towards the center in a sideways fashion. I switched the rope up and pulled with one only and that one straightened back out and was able to hold the weight of the entire vehicle going uphill.
    I just read my question I detected a little sarcasm in it and by know way did I meant it to come off like that. So I deleted it and will re-ask again. We all have those days.
    Last edited by Sal-XK; 02-15-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    Sal, that looks awsome! Do you have more of a side front profile pic? I would like to see if the skid covers up thecit section of the lower bumper.
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Let me know if you need something different I'll take some. It does cover the bottom of the bumper.

Page 4 of 56 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread Information