Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Brew

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar

Home Brew

Anyone else home brew? I'm currently brewing up an amber, but I have a Holiday Ale (little late I know) ready to go into secondary fermentation.

I also have a smoked porter and honey brown on tap. You have to love a wife who gets you a kegorator for Christmas.

I've also made some wine, but that is more for my wife, I'm not much of a wine drinker.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    I am glad you brought this up. I have wanted to do this, but where do I start?

Easy answer is buy a home brew kit from Austin Homebrew Supply
    http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=12735
    I like them because of their free shipping when spending $100 and flat rate shipping when under $100..

In general home brewers make 5 gallons of beer at a time, and for more "normal" beers that means 5+% alcohol by volume beer at the price of drinking bud light/coors light whatever.. (after buying the equipment)

If you are talking about making wine, your equipment costs are a little less, but in general its the same stuff. Wine kits cost more, but you can make wine from any kind of fruit so if you aren't looking for kits its cheaper to get started.

Thats the quick and dirty, if you have more questions let me know, I've been doing it for about 3 years now, so I'm far from pro, but for sure have more than the basics down.

So I happened across this when I was checking out Woot Deals for my nightly fix.
    http://www.groupon.com/deals/midwest...=featured_deal

I've ordered from Midwest HB Supplies in the past also and have no complaints with their customer service or products received, I can't however comment on what they are offering in this deal. It seems good, but I really have no idea what is or isn't included. By the sounds of it it seems pretty good.. but I don't want anyone to be upset if they order it and it doesn't have what they need to complete the task.

Senior Member Getting Dirty CmmdrDan's Avatar
    My girlfriend and I have been talking about this! Thanks you Bearded Beer Making Baby Producing Mad Man!

So did you buy one Dan?

And you crack me up..

Haha. Thought you would like that.
    Im gonna show it to my girlfriend tonight see what she says. Maybe I can get her to buy it. Do you buy their mixtures or make your own?

You did forget sandal wearing though..

I think setup from from the groupon link includes the ingredients for 1 batch. I generally buy premade kits, but I have been working on a honing a personal recipe of my own, it's on it's 3rd revision though so it's not like someone can just say I'm gonna make my own recipe and have it turn out great. All the beer I've made has always been drinkable, but not always awesome. That goes for both my own recipes and the kits that I've purchased.

Bought a kit tonight. Brooklyn Brew Shop. Got it at William and Sonoma. Regular price was 40 bucks but they had it on sale for 10! So we jumped on it. But god damnit. The Bearded Mad man never told me how much was involved!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CmmdrDan View Post
    Bought a kit tonight. Brooklyn Brew Shop. Got it at William and Sonoma. Regular price was 40 bucks but they had it on sale for 10! So we jumped on it. But god damnit. The Bearded Mad man never told me how much was involved!
    That's what you need an endless supply of alcohol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information