Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wiring - Charging

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar

Wiring - Charging

I want input.....I want to put a battery on my popup camper and set up a charging point
    in the back of the XK. This would allow me to plug the trailer into the XK and charge the
    battery if I am not close to electricity.

The camper has an inverter now. I am going to add 2 batteries to it so I am looking for a
    way to charge it.

I was just reading Adondo's reply on the Roof Rack lights so I hoped he or someone will
    have input for a plug.

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    I thought with 7 pin RV trailer connectors there was an aux wire that allowed the batteries in the RV to charge off the alt when the vehicle was running.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
    I thought with 7 pin RV trailer connectors there was an aux wire that allowed the batteries in the RV to charge off the alt when the vehicle was running.
    Really that would be cool. Ahww man now you got me thinking. But if there is no isolator installed then technically the RV battery could be allowed to drain the starter battery

I can't find a clear answer, but I believe that you are correct in that the 12+ is always hot meaning you could definitely kill your starting battery.

I guess you could install an isolator after that plug to keep you starter battery from draining.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    I guess you could install an isolator after that plug to keep you starter battery from draining.
    I agree with that 100%. My first thought was a plug to charge the battery,
    seperate from the tow wiring harness.

I would think I would need heavier wiring than a trailer plug which is about 14 -16 guage. The wire from your alternator to the battery is about 6g.
    Last edited by cico7; 05-04-2011 at 07:25 PM.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
    I agree with that 100%. My first thought was a plug to charge the battery, seperate from the tow wiring harness.
    I would think I would need heavier wiring than a trailer plug which is about 14 -16 guage. The wire from your alternator
    to the battery is about 6g.
    Yes but that's a short run from the alt to the bat. You would need to up-size the gauge to make up for the length if you want the same amount of amps to get back there. I'm thinking at least 4 gauge from the front to the back.
    Last edited by IamJEEP; 05-04-2011 at 07:18 PM.
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

I think with deep cycle batteries you want to charge them slowly, in which case there wouldn't be any reason to upgrade the wiring. Maybe just add a relay so that the 12+ on the 7 pin only has power when the ignition is on. (Can you do that with wires that connect two batteries?)

Quote Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
    I agree with that 100%. My first thought was a plug to charge the battery, seperate from the tow wiring harness.
    I would think I would need heavier wiring than a trailer plug which is about 14 -16 guage. The wire from your alternator
    to the battery is about 6g.
    Not necessarily true you're not starting a motor or running a large electric motor like on a winch you're just charging a battery. So the smaller wire will do the job in fact maybe better then a larger one because it will charge slower instead of a hot charge. I would have to measure it but it a deep charge is considered 2amps or a trickle charge if you will but I'm guessing maybe get more amps out of it then that. Just some food for thought. Oh I can't measure the amps for you guys a blew the amp fuse in my meter and don't have any spares left.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information