Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wiring - Charging

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    I researched a bit online and according to a couple of RV forums, 12g wire at 10amps of charge is all you need for a trailer battery. So I would say you can use the trailer 7 wire to charge you trailer battery with no issues.

Sal, I agree that a deep cycle would be the ideal battery here. Trickle charge is the way to go, but I think you would need a battery monitor to stop charging when full.
    I think a proper battery charger would be the way to go to protect the trailer battery. That should work both ways protecting the starting battery as well and you can skip the isolator then as well.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Deep cycle batteries need a slower charge, but I don't want to take all day to charge the battery.
    If your'e driving a ways you can get a full charge. The wire size should not regulate the charge.
    I need an isolator and more research.

Well, when I replace my fuse I can measure the amps and volts coming out of that wire and we can do the math an figure out a charge rate from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    I think a proper battery charger would be the way to go to protect the trailer battery. That should work both ways protecting the starting battery as well and you can skip the isolator then as well.
    The regulator will keep it from over charging and I can disconnect the charging wire if I
    think it will be an extended time period. But it would put out a higher rate of charge.
    The charger idea is good, but can you find a battery charger that runs off a battery?

I am enjoying this discussion and everyone's input on this.
    Beauty rest is in great need. Great Great need at this point.
    So I must retire for the evening.

Hoaxci5, IamJeep, Sal, thank you very much. I will continue tomorrow.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Morning all, I could'nt stay up any longer so I crashed for the night.

I read somewhere (too many sites to remember) there is a battery tender that runs off of the vehicle battery and switches off with the ignition. So, it only charges when the vehicle is turned on (or keyed on). I think it was like $110 or so and had all the fetures you would need. I'll look for it today during lunch.
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eTrailer.com
    Question:

Hi, Have converted from 4 pin to 7 and everything is working fine. Question is, is all I need is #10 wire and inline circuit breaker? Do I have to do anything at the fuse block on the Fj? and Will the in-line circuit breaker prevent my truck battery from being run down? or do I need something to prevent drainage?

asked by: dana

Expert Reply:

You have it figured out. You will need an appropriate length of 10 Gauge Wire, item # 10-1-1, and a 40 amp circuit breaker, item # PK54540, to provide 12 volt power to the trailer connector at the rear of your FJ. This will provide a maintenance charge to the trailer battery while towing the trailer. You will not need to make any changes at the fuse block on your vehicle. The 12 Volt power wire connects to the number 4 position inside your 7-way connector, see the photo in the trailer wiring diagrams FAQ linked here.

The power wire is connected from the trailer connector to the Auxilliary side of the circuit breaker and from the Battery side of the circuit breaker to the positive terminal of the vehicle battery. You should remove the ground cable from the vehicle battery before connecting the power wire from the circuit breaker.

The inline circuit breaker will protect the vehicle and trailer from any type of short circuit or power surge that may occur, but will not isolate the battery from the trailer connection when the the trailer is connected to the vehicle. Most people simply unplug the trailer from the back of the vehicle when they get to their camping destination, to keep the vehicle battery from being discharged.

We do offer the Tow Ready Battery Isolation Solenoid, item # TR118665, which will shut down the connection from the vehicle battery to the trailer connector when the vehicle ignition is off. It would be a good idea to install the battery isolator if you plan to leave the trailer connected to the vehicle for extended periods, when the vehicle is not running. The isolator also installs inline with the power wire to the trailer connector. You will need a switched ignition source to attach to the 12 volt source on the isolator and the isolator needs to be mounted to the vehicle chassis for a ground connection.

expert reply by: Bob G
    I quoted eTrailer.com here 'cause I thought this would help. Just ignore the fact that they are talking about an FJ, LOL...

PS: If I've violated any rules by doing this, please advise and I'll delete.
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

<Insert Joke/>
    She was an avid gardener, and she got carried away purchasing shrubbery one day.
    You might say she had all her money tied up in hedge funds.

She would have a safer portfolio is she didn't place all her money into such a garden-variety investment.

Though Hedge funds are dirt cheap

So a man walks into a bar:
    Bartender says "what will you have?"
    Man says to bartender "give me a Bin Laden"
    The bartender asks "a Bin Laden; what's that?
    The man replies "two shots and a splash of water"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ now thats funny

The 14 gauge has the current to charge a battery (more then a trickle charge at 15amps) I'm just not convinced it cant until I know what the flow is threw that wire then I will know what the watts are and then make a good decision. I will add that jeep put that there to charge a trailer battery which is pretty good evidence the flow or volts will be there to charge the batter.

American Wire Gauge instructional program

Claculator

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	allthingsjeep_2031_49612702.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	643
    Last edited by cico7; 05-05-2011 at 07:16 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information