Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Wiring - Charging

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Well both my meters have the amp fuse blown LOL. so off to the sore to get some fuses.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Well both my meters have the amp fuse blown LOL. so off to the sore to get some fuses.
    You should pick up a meter manual while you are at it!!! LMCAO!!! Sorry bro, I had to.
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

I guess the question here is............How long will it take to charge the battery with a 14g wire VS a 12/10g wire? Also, Cico mentioned he did not want to wait to charge so, a deep cycle is out of the question here ($0.02).
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    You should pick up a meter manual while you are at it!!! LMCAO!!! Sorry bro, I had to.
    LOL funny bro, A manual won't help my issue any. forgetting its hooked and turning the key to on does it every time.

Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    I guess the question here is............How long will it take to charge the battery with a 14g wire VS a 12/10g wire? Also, Cico mentioned he did not want to wait to charge so, a deep cycle is out of the question here ($0.02).
    Well don't go to autozone for replacement fuses. They sell the meter but not the fuse???? I picked up a glass fast reacting 20A we'll see how that works

Un-named source.......

"If you feel the need for speed, and you are willing to spend more money, you can buy a larger charger. But don't expect to be able to pump 50 amps into the battery and have it fully charged in one hour. Fast charging a battery for extended periods will harm the battery. Automotive batteries are designed to handle very large currents for only short periods of time for engine cranking. If a high current is forced in or out for an extended period of time, the battery will overheat and suffer internal damage. Better chargers commonly have capability to run a 15 amp charging rate. An important feature of the larger capacity automatic charger is that it may be able to maintain something close to the rated current until the battery is nearly fully charged. Then when it's finished it can shut off suddenly and not overcharge the battery. As such a 15 amp automatic charger may be able to fully charge a flat battery in as little as 3 or 4 hours"

They are talking about battery chargers you can buy from auto stores but, it fits in this topic (I believe).

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

LOL funny bro, A manual won't help my issue any. forgetting its hooked and turning the key to on does it every time.
    Ah yes, been there done that. Lol....

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

LMAO hahahahah well, blew another fuse glad I bought a pack. 32amps at that trailer connection. Yes 32amps so the wire gauge must be bigger then 14gauge. Also the key must be on or there is no power to that connection. Now I have a rated 20amp meter the fuse blew sitting on 32amps which took to long to blow IMO so I'm glad I was using my spare\back up meter I hope this helps out at 32amps your good to charge a battery for sure. I was only getting 10v but I have to confirm that with my other meter now LOL.

Ok so we have 32amps at 12.40 volts for battery charging at the plug. I confirmed the volts with my good meter.

Ok so we have 32amps at 12.40 volts for battery charging at the plug. I confirmed the volts with my good meter.
    That is plenty enough to charge the trailer battery. You must have a 10 or 12 gauge wire for that many amps, tho.

So Cico, you will need at least a 14g +12vdc feed off of your main battery (w/ a relay for switched operation) to a 7 pin harness. Done!

Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.......

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information