Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bosch S5 Battery

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar

Bosch S5 Battery

Bosch S5 Battery

I'm going to replace the battery in my XK this weekend. It's a 2007 with ~34k miles. I bought it last summer with only 22k miles on it, so im sure the OEM battery had a lot of starts & short trips. I've noticed recently that the initial CCA seem to struggle in the morning. And being a bit experienced in the field, I know it's a good idea to replace a battery as old as this one at the first sign of issues since leaving it in there can damage other components (low amperage is particularly bad for the starter).

Upon doing some research... I've come to the same conclusion that most others have on these forums; there aren't many options!

I think I'm going to give the Bosch S5 Battery a shot. It's a direct replacement 94R series. Yes, I know a lot of guys are running the Optima.. i've run them before, but wanted a direct replacement for the XK and the series that already come with these vehicles are already very strong batteries.

http://rb-aa.bosch.com/boaa-sg/Produ...&publication=1

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I did a lot of research when shopping for my wifes new battery. I compared a lot batteries and there construction. I also compared the technology and price of all the major brands. I went with the yellow top for here and couldn't be happier so far. It has the CCA that are needed and also the amp hour of a deep cycle like a marine battery. I am pretty sure that it will be the last battery I ever put in her car.

What does she drive?

she drives a ford 500. When the battery in my XK is ready its getting a yellow top as well.

Yeah the yellow tops are good batteries for sure.

There were better batteries out there but way to expensive for me. Also the yellow top wasn't priced that badly compared to other brands like die-hard and stuff. The yellow top can be mounted in any direction so on those crazy obstacle you find your self sitting on your battery's not leaking

The S5 is leakproof... so I'm not worried unless I flip (in which case I have bigger issues). Although its not AGM like Optima and the S6, it has the proper fit and power required. If there was a direct replacement available from Optima, I'd run them again... but it looks like the posts on the 34 will be too far of a reach and the 35 series has lower CCA and CAs.

Its all a balance of pros vs cons. Proper fit weighs high on my "pro" scale.

The optima's are much smaller then the battery's they replace and weigh a lot less as well so no a direct fit won't be possible. I know they fit the XK a few are using them and I think there is a thread on it as well.

Oh I know. I even think our fearless xk-forum leader is running a yellow top.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
    Oh I know. I even think our fearless xk-forum leader is running a yellow top.
    Ya he is, I put one in my wifes car for the audio equipment that she has and will be adding to the vehicle. I know my second battery will be getting replaced with a red top for sure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information