Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TrialByFire's Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
    wow... freaking wow man, i love your XK!!

How is the clearance when you're flexing with those 285/70/17s? Any rubbing or did you do some pinch weld mods? I know guys run them with the 2" spacers, but i was planning on getting 265/70/17's when i put on my SL (but i want to run the Mickey Thompson ATZs which usually run "larger" than advertised).
    I did mod the pinch welds in the front but there is a bit (maybe more than a bit) of rubbing at full flex in the rear. I need to get out the heat gun again.

'06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000
    Wish list: SFA, in-dash Windows 8 PC
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Blade/commander

Quote Originally Posted by NeilSmith View Post
    When you say you couldn't keep the rpms up, I assume you had the traction control turned off ?
    On the dune, I had exactly the same attack (4-hi, traction control off) as with the RR lift and SilentArmors which never gave me a problem on the same dune (and put a lot of JKs to shame!). I see three things adding up to create the problem. First, going from 30" to 33" tires. Second, going from an AT (fairly closed tread pattern) to the BFG M/T KM2s which paddle like crazy. Third, I aired down to 18 lbs (same as I did with the SAs) but with a 33, I may need to go down to 12 lbs to get the same float. The problem was, I couldn't get up on the torque curve and just ran out of power (and yes, it is the Hemi!). There was a lot of other sand on the run and it did fine, though not as well as before the new tires.

Neil, the Mickey Thompson 265/70s should be fine IMHO (unless you really need that extra 1/2" of clearance).

'06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I wonder if you could get longer bump stops for the rear to limit the compression a bit more....

Your rig really has me 2nd guessing my plan. What is the width and backspace on those wheels???

The stance is perfect with those 285s, to the point that 265s may look small. .... the MTR Kevlars come in a 275/70/17 which may fit the bill a bit better to prevent rubbing offroading but still fill the wheel wells nicely.... I just wish more tires were available in that size: its either 265 or 285 if you want options.

Also can you snap some pics of the JBA UCAs installed and your CV & tie rod angles? I've been wondering how they all look with the 4" SL. If the look stock, I may consider a 1" spacer with the SL to help clear the 285s... and sleep better at night!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Oh ok bro sand dunes. Ya that makes sense to me now thanks. Again sweet XK bro!

We need more XKs driving around like this.... start spreading the "mod bug" around to other xk owners like an airborne virus!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
    I wonder if you could get longer bump stops for the rear to limit the compression a bit more....

Your rig really has me 2nd guessing my plan. What is the width and backspace on those wheels???

The stance is perfect with those 285s, to the point that 265s may look small. .... the MTR Kevlars come in a 275/70/17 which may fit the bill a bit better to prevent rubbing offroading but still fill the wheel wells nicely.... I just wish more tires were available in that size: its either 265 or 285 if you want options.

Also can you snap some pics of the JBA UCAs installed and your CV & tie rod angles? I've been wondering how they all look with the 4" SL. If the look stock, I may consider a 1" spacer with the SL to help clear the 285s... and sleep better at night!
    The bump stops on the coils have a 4-inch extender now. They didn't have any extender with the RR lift so I've already lost a couple of inches flex. I'm pretty sure I can remold the flares a bit to clear better.

The wheels are AEV Pintlers (17 x 8.5) with the 25mm offset designed for the XK. If you use a 1" spacer you will probably have major rubbing in the front with anything bigger than a 265/70. Here is a front view of my setup.

I will get some photos of the JBA and tie rod/CV angles to post. FYI, the CV angles are now less than they were with the RR lift. Obviously, the drive shaft angles are greater now than before.

Awesome, thanks man.

And by "spacer" I meant a coil body spacer for the front and coil spring spacer for the rear for an extra 1" of lift. This would give us 1" more clearance when fully compressed in addition to the ride height. (Edit: even a 1/2" or 3/4" may do the trick)

My wheels are 8.5" wide with +18mm offset, so my stance would be almost identical to yours.

I'm fairly certain that because of you, Ill either get the ATZs or Xtreme ATs in the 285s.

Looking forward to seeing some suspension pics!

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    I would think the drive shaft can handle the increased angle a lot better then the CV's could. How much did the SL drop your diff?

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    I would think the drive shaft can handle the increased angle a lot better then the CV's could. How much did the SL drop your diff?
    The SL dropped the diff by 4 inches. A side note: when I had the SL installed, they discovered the front drive shaft was bad (both the CV and U-joint) so I had them replace it. The vehicle had 72K miles on it (58K when I bought it) and because the RR lift had been on only 6 months and hadn't increased any angles, we didn't think it was lift-related so the extended warranty covered it.

You don't happen to have a part number for that driveshaft do you?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information