Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Forum Activity! Adding the WK Owners.

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    Volunteer staff hasn't been made staff, and I'm busy packing for the Jeep Jamboree that I'm headed out to tomorrow

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    You're going to Jeep Jamboree I really don't care your busy now

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Get to it!!

Senior Member Getting Dirty CmmdrDan's Avatar
    I think this is a great idea. I know im late to the party. My new job has me busy. I too have a lot of time at the JF. But I do like the people here..well most are there too. I vote yes for this

Senior Member Getting Dirty sean112280's Avatar
    I need to really work on my activity here. I am sorry. I have been frequenting my saltwater hobby forums a lil too much.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    http://www.xk-forum.com/entry.php/55...K-owners?bt=90

Didn't realize he posted this as a blog post.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty WanderingTs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just as a counterpoint -

I agree this forum seems to be for those who are actually using their Commanders as they can be, great off road vehicles. Part of why I don't even check "the other forum" anymore is because of the redundancy and neverending stream of the same noob questions over and over. That being said, we were all various stages of noob at some point.

When I bought my Xk, I knew it had to be capable, after all it was a Jeep. I always wanted a Jeep, and needing tow, the V-8 in the Commander was a no brainer. The only research I really did was to make sure the towing capacity was high enough for my needs (like I said, it was a Jeep, what was to research). After ownership, I was lead to "the other forum", and then here when Jon started this great forum. This forum has been a gold mine of information. The ability to find opinions, mods, ideas, and experience from real Jeepers all over the world was something I would have paid much more for. (No getting ideas here Jon).

If we allow other models to join, and become standard fare, it does make it more difficult for those who came in like me. I had no Jeep experience, no mod experience, only basic 4X4 in my old truck. Part of the magic for this site to me was I didn't have to wade through other model of Jeep information. I didn't find great mods or ideas, only to get into it and find out it didn't apply due to some change between models. Here, all things were possible. Everything I read was relevant. Those doing the posting were informed and experienced.

As you can easily see, I am not one of the top posters to this site, but I garuntee you I have read every post in every thread that gone into this forum as I joined right at the start. My humble opinion - we are growing - if it aint broke, why fix it? Why dilute the pure experience we have now? I think we should carefully evaluate what adding a second focus would give us as an advantage. More members is not always a good thing, just look at "the other forum". If we are concerned about the XK being discontinued and the WK being the future, how many of us plan on trading in our XK for a WK? Not guna happen here.

For those who want a broader Jeep experience, other forums already exist to fill that niche. Some were mentioned above. If this joining happens, I certainly will not abandon ship, but I think we find that we end up with a watered down, less valuable, less focused forum.

Just my $.02
    The best things in life can not be found on a map; they can only be found while Wandering.
    __________________________________________________ ___

2007 XK - 4.7L Flex Fuel // Rocky Road 2.25 lift // Rocky Road Super Sliders // Toyo Open Country 265/70R17 tires // 4xGuard Front Guard // 4xGuard Belly Guard // 4xGuard Matrix-HC with optional front hitch // Warn XD9000I hitch mounted winch // Graco Carseat for the Youngun

http://www.xk-forum.com/blog.php - The Wild(life) Side of Jeeping

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    I don't think bringing WKs here will make this place watered down. The whole point is that the vehicles are practically the same. We definitely don't want to make this forum a generic "Jeep" forum and get flooded with wranglers and Cherokees.... they have plenty of sites.

I think making this an XK/WK site will retain our "niche" status, but also make this site a bit more active. Not looking for a "broader" Jeep experience... just to "better" this forum experience. Right now, the best place to be is the XK/WK section of jeepforum... but I'd rather have that experience here on our own "home" forum than be a stepchild on that forum.

An example is the for sale section...... probably 95% wrangler stuff. Or the "offroading pics/vids" forum.... try finding XKs or WKs there. Those type of threads need to be posted in the XK/WK Generic section to get any visibility. That wouldn't be the case here.... we can actually post in the proper forum sections because this is "our" place.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Part of why I don't even check "the other forum" anymore
    is because of the redundancy and neverending stream of the same
    noob questions over and over. That being said, we were all various
    stages of noob at some point.
    No way around it. Lots of noobs. Maybe the intro should say this is
    website is devoted to offroad enthusiast, not mallcrawlers.
    MallCrawlers go here

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
    No way around it. Lots of noobs. Maybe the intro should say this is
    website is devoted to offroad enthusiast, not mallcrawlers.
    MallCrawlers go here
    LMAO thats funny. But if were going to grow new members and new to the commander people will be joining up. Having an easy to find help section with in depth write ups and pictures will help with the same basic questions that are asked all the time. One of the problem with the other site is the information you're looking for is buried in a 200 post thread that takes mind numbing reading to find the one post you need. Then when you ask because you can't take it anymore some dude jumps on and says use the search button next time. We have a few noobs here already all new members receive a welcome message with links to stuff to help them out and get them started another step to cutting down on the redundant questions always asked. I for one don't think this site will get over run with WK owners although I do feel what WanderingTs said. Here is a copy of the welcome message everyone receives no matter what forum they come from or there post count they get this welcome message.

Welcome to the ultimate commander forum. Here are some threads to help you get started. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Also you might want to AKA any of your other forum names if you have any as many of us frequent the same forums.

Introduce yourself here
    XK-Parts link Check out the must have listed parts
    How to post a Picture
    How to make a word a Link
    What do all the options and buttons mean
    Putting a Face to a name thread
    Sa-XK

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread Information