Thread: A neat discovery while in low range...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar

A neat discovery while in low range...

I discovered something this last weekend. I guess I just never noticed it before.

We’re up on top of some steep rolling hills after a two mile and 25 degree climb up. We followed a power line road on the other side, but it trended away from where we were generally heading. It also plunged downhill to the point of being committed should we have gone much farther. (We’re talking STEEP)

What I noticed was when shifting between reverse and forward in low range, the forward gear you were in last stays the same. In other words, you back up while going down a steep hill and when you pull the shifter back again, it goes back into 1 or 2 instead of all the way to 4. (Whatever it was to begin with) BTW, it won’t do D in low range, you’re limited to 4th.

That makes it really nice if maneuvering around on steep stuff as you won't jump to 4th and lose control when you go back to a forward gear. (Think about that infamous crash video of the Ford Bronco on the Lion's Back in Moab)

While in high range and going back into a forward mode, and it just goes straight to ‘D’ which makes sense for road driving.

Now, THAT’S thinking, Jeep!
    Last edited by Adondo; 05-11-2011 at 04:48 PM.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Thread Information