Thread: wierd "thud" and "ka-tink" noises after the RC lift went on

wierd "thud" and "ka-tink" noises after the RC lift went on

not long ago, i put the RC 2" spacer lift on the jeep. shortly after, i started hearing a light "thud" in the front end. i thouht maybe something wasnt tightened down enough, so i put it back in the air, and all the bolts that were removed during install were just as snug as can be. well, i put it back down and since then i get a "ka-tink" from the front every now and then. nothing i can find is loose... is there anything i'm missing? let me rephrase that... WHAT am i missing? prior to lift, i had no noises from suspension.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    How many miles are on it?

Check the control arm bushings. They may need some lube, or if they're twisted you may have to loosen the control arm bolts and rotate them... sort of like re-indexing them for the new control arm position. Also take a good look at the sway bar bushings and end links. Putting the 2" spacers on changes the position and load on these parts which tends to give you warning signs that they're on their way out sooner than if you had left it stock. It doesn't mean the lift ruined them, just that they would have needed to be replaced soon regardless.

And you're positive the 3 bolts on top are tightened down good?

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Many people have had similar issues. Most come down to getting everything tight.
    The collar to the strut. The spacer to the top frame piece, and all of the parts in
    between and attached to it. Don't forget the things you moved to get to the strut.

Mine does this sometimes, and i still go back and tighten. Bushings may be getting worn.

Gotchya. I'll start looking there. Thanks for the info.guys!

Member Looking for Dirt JumpmasterRT's Avatar
    Mine only happens when I turn too sharply... it offsets the front driver wheel and then when I brake sharply it "resets" it back to center. I think it's something with the rack and pinion but I hope not because that's a bitch to get to. Even worse it could be the CV slipping out of the hub.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpmasterRT View Post
    Mine only happens when I turn too sharply... it offsets the front driver wheel and then when I brake sharply it "resets" it back to center. I think it's something with the rack and pinion but I hope not because that's a bitch to get to. Even worse it could be the CV slipping out of the hub.
    Rack and pinion is easy to get to. Just drop the front diff. I can have the front diff on the ground in 30 min
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Member Looking for Dirt JumpmasterRT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
    Just drop the front diff.
    You make it sound easy like changing brakes. I must be missing something.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    He's had his front end apart so many times that it is easy for him. For someone who's doing it for the first time, expect 1-2 hours.

Kind of like the first time I installed a lift.... took me a good 7+ hours (and im very mechanically inclined and have a garage full of tools). Now I can install a complete lift in ~3 hrs taking my time. (4 hrs if its 110 degrees out... right Corey? lol)

Each time you do it you learn new tricks to make the next time easier, you know all the bolt sizes, which extensions to use, etc, etc.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Yea I've definitely had the front end apart a few times. Lol
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Core XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    He's had his front end apart so many times that it is easy for him. For someone who's doing it for the first time, expect 1-2 hours.

Kind of like the first time I installed a lift.... took me a good 7+ hours (and im very mechanically inclined and have a garage full of tools). Now I can install a complete lift in ~3 hrs taking my time. (4 hrs if its 110 degrees out... right Corey? lol)

Each time you do it you learn new tricks to make the next time easier, you know all the bolt sizes, which extensions to use, etc, etc.
    Lmao it was really hot that day .....I felt bad for you LOL

Galaxy Slll
    2010 Silver HEMI XK QTII

My Garage: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...re-XK-s-Garage

Thread Information