Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Security software

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar

Question Computer Security software

So what is everyone using and why. I've been using McAfee for a while now, it's the first software I used that costs money and I don't see value. There are a lot of pay per year software out there thats for there updated data base. There is also a lot of free ones two. Is anyone running a free virus and firewall software program? I use to run AVG and zone alarm I think I'm going back but I'm diffidently starting my research to see what the best free software is now, I'm done paying for this monster computer resource robbing expensive software.

Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    You need Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, it doesn't slow down the computer to 486 speeds, and is constantly updated. Did I mention it's FREE? No popping up ''enter your credit card info'' like all the rest with endless upgrading and subscriptions.

It's caught quite a few Trojans and the like on incoming emails here on the shop's network.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

On edit: Oh yes, Zone Alarm. I remember THAT thing. It adds about 30 to 45 seconds to the time it takes to open a Word document. We tossed that from the machines here a long time ago. Semantic (Or Norton AV) is another virus app that throws out an anchor behind the machine, making ev... ery... thing... so... s... l... o... w.
    Last edited by Adondo; 05-12-2011 at 04:14 PM.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    I use Avast and feel it provides great protection.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adondo View Post
    You need Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, w.
    i

Ditto. Im a firm believer that since microsoft with its resources is more capable of keeping this software up to date than some of these free outfits its going to work more flawlessly. I've got 3 pcs. But only one runs this software. Gotta love linux that's on my other two cause it doesn't require any anti virus or spyware stuff and the OSs are free too.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Yup, another Linux fan here. My widescreen laptop default boots into Ubuntu.

I get used to my sliding desktop screens and wobbling ''latex rubber'' windows, and when I get back to Windows (2000/XP/7) at work, it seems boring. Compare working on a desktop that's running in open GL mode (Only seen while in 3D gaming mode on PC's) to the static graphics mode of a Windows PC.

Virus' only seem to target PC's. Macs and Linux boxes are off the radar for the most part. I've been running Linux on the laptop for quite a while, and never bothered installing an antivirus app. Even with the occasional spam email with a bad attachment, the buried virus wouldn't know what to do in a Linux environment should I be stupid enough to launch it. (Like those .zip files attached to the ''your UPS package can't be delivered'' spams)
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Yep with linux it can't self install anything like windows does so the virus would have to attack your hands at the keyboard, direct you to the console (big black code screen like dos) and make you program itself into the computer.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers

That brings up a visual... an ''Adams Family" hand (Thing) popping up out of your keyboard to type in your admin password into a terminal/console window after it opens one. You can't even connect to the 'net via tethering thru a cellphone without a couple of sudu commands.

Reminds me of the famous ''Useless machine'' that turns itself off after you turn it on. Check out this link: (Gotta watch the imbedded youtube video too)
    http://www.solarbotics.com/products/60005/

Better yet, here's version two. It goes crazy after you battle it out with the switch. The ending is funny.
    http://theawesomer.com/most-useless-...e-v2-0/101740/
    Last edited by Adondo; 05-13-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Had a hard time not laughing uncontrollably at that. I want one just to mess with people.

Junior Member Looking for Dirt Simplewon's Avatar
    None, use a mac. I have virtual pc installed but rarely use it. Within vpc are all versions of windows installed. I keep the windows versions backed up as zip files and run no antivirus on them either. If they burp, I simply unzip and overwrite the image. The favorite of all the windows versions is xp home. I can also boot to any of them making this mac a 100 percent pc. Only reason for that is a large windows only game. Most games run fine in vpc. Vpc runs windows in a window or full screen. It can run multiple os's at the same time. This way windows doesnt slow down because the registry never grows. It's always a fresh install.

I mostly use the mac, a child could use a mac, you nearly need a degree to use windows.

Keep it simple.
    06 Commander, 5.7 Limited. Black. 2 inch RC 245 75 Duratracs
    04 Z Roadster. Super Black.
    98 ZJ 5.9 Limited. Stone White. 245 75 16 BFG KO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information