Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switch Panel ---IamJeep Style

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty IamJEEP's Avatar

Switch Panel ---IamJeep Style

I had to fab up a quick switch panel for my roof/driving/fog lights before ECCC. This is what I came up with.........................

Grabbed some textured 1/8" plastic and cut it the shape of the cubby pocket thing (Technical term). Then I used a heat gun to form it like the front of the cubby. I drilled 4 holes for the mounting screws and test fitted it. Then, i made some back brackets out of some metal I had found. I bent the ends so it grabs the inner lip of the hole. Once I got it to fit the best I can get it, I cut out the switch area and cleaned it up. I first sprayed the panel a light grey I had laying around, but it did'nt match the dash. So, I re-sprayed it black (Ishould of used matte black but all I had was gloss). I installed the switches, wired them up and installed the panel to the dash......I still have to finish wireing the whole set-up but it's done for today...Here's the pics, enjoy.

If and when I re-do the panel, i will use smaller screws and pay more attention to detail. Also, I want to use different switches. All in all, I think it looks good.
    Last edited by IamJEEP; 05-12-2011 at 04:47 PM.
    ****Uwharrie Aprroved****
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*
    --------->My Garage<------------------

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2
    Quote Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
    Then I drove her hard for about 45 mins.

Senior Member Getting Dirty cico7's Avatar
    Nice job ! Test them out yet??

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    One of my favorites, I think I might copy this mod!
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal-XK View Post
    Looks pretty cool bro
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
    Nice job ! Test them out yet??
    No sir, I still have to drill through the roof and through the firewal for the feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Knappster View Post
    One of my favorites, I think I might copy this mod!
    Thanks, feel free to copy any mods....LOL.
    2006 Commander Sport- 3.7L- 4X4*Inferno Red Crystal Pearl*Rocky Road 2.25" lift *"Limited" Color-Matched Rear Grab Handles*Mopar Hitch/Harness*4xGaurd Matrix w/Fogs*Rear Bumper Lights*Tinted Front Side Markers*MHT Fuel Hostage 17x8.5 +14ET*Nitto Terra Graplers 265/70/17*

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

Senior Member Getting Dirty NeilSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    that looks very nice. i like clean and neat, especially in the interior. if you re-do it, like you said maybe use a matte finish. i like the texture, matches the dash good. try to find some allen head screws to match the dash screws. and maybe use switches that are black instead of orange. just my thoughts. its easy to scrutinize someone elses work LOL ! It looks very nice though.
    '07 Commander 3.7 V6
    2" Rough Country Lift with Vision Warriors and Goodyear Duratracs 245/75R17
    BajaRack Mega-Mule with KC Daylighters
    http://s624.photobucket.com/albums/t...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Quote Originally Posted by NeilSmith View Post
    that looks very nice. i like clean and neat, especially in the interior. if you re-do it, like you said maybe use a matte finish. i like the texture, matches the dash good. try to find some allen head screws to match the dash screws. and maybe use switches that are black instead of orange. just my thoughts. its easy to scrutinize someone elses work LOL ! It looks very nice though.
    Thanks bro, I plan on swapping out the switches later with some Carlin(?) rocker switches and also the screws (allen heads is a good idea). I was looking for green switches but, all I could find is these red (they look orange in the pics, tho) ones. Alltho, they were only $2 each VS $8 each at Discount Auto.

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

Daystar switches are really nice, at $14 ea they better be. My experience, red lighted switches are too bright.
    They are distracting. So before you invest in several switches, you might want to test a few colors to
    get what you want. As opposed to lighted switches, you might consider toggle switches and LED indicator lights
    from Radio Shack or similar. They are not as bright.

Don't you love all this back seat advice?!!

I would like to find a way to lable the lights. I have a panel I am working on, I post a pic somewhere.....
    Last edited by cico7; 05-13-2011 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cico7 View Post
    Daystar switches are really nice, at $14 ea they better be. My experience, red lighted switches are too bright.
    They are distracting. So before you invest in several switches, you might want to test a few colors to
    get what you want. As opposed to lighted switches, you might consider toggle switches and LED indicator lights
    from Radio Shack or similar. They are not as bright.

Don't you love all this back seat advice?!!

I would like to find a way to lable the lights. I have a panel I am working on, I post a pic somewhere.....
    Those are the ones I meant, the Daystars. They are kinda pricey, tho.

While looking at the auto parts store for some cheap switches, I saw some that look like they would look sweet in a nice panel. I'm not going to reveal said switches till I'm able to buy all the ones I need and make a new panel. So, for now these will suffice.

Don, I like the panel you are making, I just don't see where that would fit in the XK....?....

Also: sit back, button your seat belt, and watch the movie. NO BACK SEAT DRIVING!!! LMCAO......

RAGE ROOF RACK MEMBER #2

Quote Originally Posted by IamJEEP View Post
    Don, I like the panel you are making, I just don't see where that would fit in the XK....?....

Also: sit back, button your seat belt, and watch the movie. NO BACK SEAT DRIVING!!! LMCAO......
    I don't know where it will go. I may not put it in. I made it for the ZJ. Suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information