Thread: Lack of Commander respect, again.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Getting Dirty Adondo's Avatar
    I had an F-350, so I know. We were miles from pavement in my 8,000 lb. diesel beast out of Moab. It spring-hopped badly across a section of coral colored sand, and I thought about how impossible it would've been to get it out. Its front end alone weighs as much as a Jeep. Other places, I had to do an ah-la Walmart parking lot back and forth to get around tight slick rock turns.

The only other vehicle we saw for hours was a Toyota 4 Runner. They looked at us like we were nuts to be out there in that truck. I started feeling the same way. It's like taking a Kenworth off-roading. 5 MPH is max because everything in the bed's jumping out while your kidneys are failing. Actually, come to think of it, the Kenworth would be better because at least you'd have an air ride seat to cushion the pounding. After we got home, it was time to start re-thinking the whole RV idea. So... a 40 foot motorcoach and the Commander is the replacement.

As for the Wrangler snobs, the ones with that attitude are ignorant. I've heard from several people ''in the know'' about the Wranglers. One, from a tranny man that owns one of the top tranny places in town: the Wrangler Unlimited has the same weak transmission as a Chrysler minivan. They're crap, and he's already repaired a couple of failed ones. One good reverse to pull someone out, and kiss the clutch pack goodbye. The XK has a stout, double oil filtered beast that's also used in a few Mercedes SUV's.

Another has seen what the XK's and JK's can do on serious stuff. Anyone that can operate a Google search knows they have very advanced running gear. Those same snobs, by the way, are typically ''balls to the wall'' types who think going full throttle up a steep hill of loose rocks is the only way to get it done. There's lots of rolling Jeep videos on youtube, and 99% are the ones going full tilt Bozo. You don't see many Jeep crashes from a controlled speed. That's true for Moab or anywhere else.

I've embarrassed a few 4x4's in my rig. I've yet to come across a Jeep snob though. Maybe it's because I've driven up the same stuff THEY just did, and am standing there too, so what could they say? I have however, waited until SUV's and trucks have flung dirt everywhere in failed attempts, then crawled up and past their ruts as if the same place suddenly has pavement. It's just a reality of computer controlled clutch packs and traction control.
    Last edited by Adondo; 05-13-2011 at 03:49 PM.
    2006, 4.7L, QTII, Toyo Wild Country M/T 265/70R17 tires, Ultrasport 175 wheels, Rocky Road 2.25'' lift kit, HID off-road lighting, Surco 50x60 roof rack, Foxwing awning, Superchips performance programming.

Thread Information