Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Holaday07 4.7 Garage

Senior Member Getting Dirty
    Picked up some 4x guard side guards from Carlos today. They are going to need some TLC, everything is a tad rusty, but for the price I could not pass up this deal. I am shocked how much these weigh. Hopefully get them on next weekend. Post pics later this week.
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

lookin good and the same colour as mine! I keep trying to buff the scratches out but they seem to be a bit far gone
    '07, 4.7L, QTII, 2" lift, T-boddy spacer, flowmaster 40, HID's, CB, JVC nav/DVD, 245/75/17 Wrangler Territory's, Superchips, 6' roofrack with 8 lights, LTD grab handles, rear storage compartment, chassis rock lights, clinometer, yadda, yadda, yadda

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
    lookin good and the same colour as mine! I keep trying to buff the scratches out but they seem to be a bit far gone
    You can't buff out dents and scrapes bro

Nice, I never see my color Jeep. I will go through your pics now
    2007 Jeep Commander: QTII, Leather, Sunroof, remote start, OEM Skid Plates, 2 in Daystar lift, 255.75.17 BFG Mud Terrains on Moabs, 1.25 " Spidertrax wheel spacers, 4x Guard front guard and Side Guards, Optima Red Top, Robbys half inch leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shocks, Pinch weld mod and trimming!

Spent about an hour today with the angle grinder and got one of the side guards down to bare metal. Lots of freaking work, but the result is making me very happy. I have not decided what I am going to paint them with, so if you have any suggestions, speak up please. (Fiance asked if they had chrome paint...)

Progress so far. I am doing 4 coats of Primer with Rust stop, and bed liner for the inside. For any of the guys that are running these, do you have the specs for the hardware needed for install. I have sent Marvin a handfull of Emails trying to get what I need, but I will just buy my own and use Grade 8 Hardware.

Thanks

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    You can download the installation instructions from the 4xg website.... it has a parts list on the first page.

Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    Just curious. Did you use an actual angle grinder wheel or the steel wool pads? If you had the steel wool pads i think there wouldn't be any rust left on these whatsoever after about 20 mins.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    you have to get all the rust off. Any rust left on will bleed threw and continue to rust the steel. I don't particularly trust the claims some companies make that you can spray there product on rust and it will seal and stop it. I know your considering the money you purchased these for but remember what a new set costs so as long as you come in cheaper your in good shape.

Used the Angle Grinder, **** was brutal to get off,the rust was thick. The pics are taken in my basement with my Blackberry, so they are not great. Almost all of it is off, and I am still going to get the Steel wool pads to get any left overs. They are starting to come through though. Matt, it shows part number and size, but not lengths of the bolts or Screws, I guess I will just wing it.

Sal, I agree. I want them bare metal before they are painted, I will try and get better pics, but they are darn close.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information