Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeep Jamboree (Big Bear, CA)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Getting Dirty superacerc's Avatar
    My very first wheelin adventure tore that little black bumper molding strip up so I never put it back on. Looks better without it. That was a great writeup. i thought it was better than half the magazine articles I read. I've never left an offroad trip without people thinking the commander was amazing. Now you just need to do sals bumper mod.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...acerc-s-Garage

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Great story, than for sharing it with us. Great photos too.
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Did you unhook any of your sway bars? Just curious. Wheels stay on the ground better when they're unhooked.
    2007 Commander 4.7L, QTII, OEM Towing Option, tow hooks, 2"OME + 1/4" rusty's leveling spacer, Bilstein 5150 Rear Shks, Rear sway bar removed, 4xguard front skid, Offroad Unlimited Defender Roof Rack, Hella 500FF lights, 265/70/R17 BFG KM2 M/Ts 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superacerc View Post
    Did you unhook any of your sway bars? Just curious. Wheels stay on the ground better when they're unhooked.
    No, they had a respected Jeep dealership mechanic there and after talking to him he said he wouldn't do it. They were there for support, and were disconnecting/connecting everyone sway bars for free. He said that disconnecting the front risked damaging a CV since the lift already put them a little out of spec and that if it dropped all the way down it would just be an even nastier angle.

Besides wheels in the air make for way cooler pictures and I had zero issue getting through any of trails we went on based on traction, it was always a ground clearance issue.

Understandable. I never mess with my front cause i don't have any limiting straps to keep the CV's from going too far. The rear I like off cause it is always a bit disconcerting to have wheels up in the air. It seems to help with traction having the wheels articulate a bit more. Cool! i was just wonderin.

I asked him about the rear and he said that the rear bars are a lot softer sprung than the front bars so it wouldn't make much of a difference. That may or may not be true I've never compared.. like I said though I had no issues with traction so I never second guessed it. And I kind of like teeter-toddering

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    Outstanding thread! Thanks for posting....
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty TrialByFire's Avatar
    Great photos and an excellent post!

Quote Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
    I asked him about the rear and he said that the rear bars are a lot softer sprung than the front bars so it wouldn't make much of a difference. That may or may not be true I've never compared.. like I said though I had no issues with traction so I never second guessed it. And I kind of like teeter-toddering
    I found disconnecting the rear sway bars to be a huge improvement in stability and flex. I didn't like the teetering feeling either. Teetering on the flat is one thing, but teetering while going down a steep incline is very unnerving.

I may try to disconnect the fronts some day but like Matt said, you need limiting straps.
    '06 XK Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QDII, OME struts & HD springs, JBA UCAs, 285/70R17 BFG KM2, 4XGuard Sliders, 4XGuard Diff Guard, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, custom bumpers and Warn xi9000
    Wish list: SFA, in-dash Windows 8 PC
    http://www.fuelly.com/driver/Blade/commander

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
    No, they had a respected Jeep dealership mechanic there and after talking to him he said he wouldn't do it. They were there for support, and were disconnecting/connecting everyone sway bars for free. He said that disconnecting the front risked damaging a CV since the lift already put them a little out of spec and that if it dropped all the way down it would just be an even nastier angle.

Besides wheels in the air make for way cooler pictures and I had zero issue getting through any of trails we went on based on traction, it was always a ground clearance issue.
    I would of picked that dudes brain apart. I haven't been able to find the operating or min max angles of our CV's anywhere

Moe at http://www.donavee.com/ - not sure if he really knew, but it wasn't worth the possibility of damage.. and with QD2 even with a wheel in the air it just didn't matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information