Page 10 of 77 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt's Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty strokeZ's Avatar
    Everything looks great man! Looks like you have a Gary Fisher MTB - I loved mine til it was stolen. Can I bother to ask how you have the Rola installed on the roof - looks low profile and I have been racking my head on how to get it off of the factory roof rails and lower profile. I only carry my spare plus a hi-jack lift up there. Is that uni-strut you are using? how is it attached to the lateral rails?
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 4-1/2" AEV lift w 35" Toyo's

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

85 BMW 535is Lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks, extra attitude

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    That is a Gary Fisher.... x-caliber. I love it.... lol although the only thing still stock is the frame, seatpost and handlebars (see a trend???)

I am using strut channel for my load bars and I machined stanchions for them. Anything I've done to my XK has a link associated with it in the first post of this thread... so if you're ever looking for this link again all you have to do is find my garage thread (hint, links in my sig)

This is a long thread, but it shows how/why the mounts look like they do:
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...ss-Rail-Mounts

Wow that is one heck of a job you did. That is the look I have been trying to get with the Rola and I don't feel so bad now that I could not figure out an elegant solution - but at the time and effort and esp cost I would have to pay to get the parts machined (I don't have those types of tools) I might just be better off buying the Defender roof rack (which is as wide as and mounts directly in the factory channels). The extra few inches lower that you created with your set up doesn't seem like much but I bet it make a HUGE difference in keeping the center of gravity low (esp with a spare tire on top) and wind drag. Looks great man.

03 BMW Z4 2.5i ESS Stage 2 Supercharged, Custom Suspension, Stebro Exhaust, Hamann Side Skirts

Thanks man.

Take a look at Sal and Dans setup.... they used bolts and spacers to essentially do the same thing. Also, a new member copied my setup with an easier to make solution. .. ill see if I can find that thread for you.

I have a feeling that a commercial version of my setup (but much nicer) may be coming in the relative near future.... so you may want to go with one of those lower cost interim solutions for the time being.

I do have some material left over too.... so if you want me to machine some for you, shoot me a PM. I'm taking some time off during the holidays so I can set a day aside to machine a set (only reason I haven't been making a bunch of these to sell is because of the time it takes.... lol cleanup alone takes well over an hour.. but the garage looks awesome with metal shavings all over the place!)

Here you go man.... check this out:
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...ll=1#post20464

And you may also Want to thumb through the roof rack thread.
    http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...es-roof-rack)?

cool and thanks! Let me confirm measurements to make sure I can fit in my garage with a low profile solution (if I remember I will have about 1/4" clearance but I need to do a really careful measure to be sure). I like the other solutions as well.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Sal-XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by strokeZ View Post
    cool and thanks! Let me confirm measurements to make sure I can fit in my garage with a low profile solution (if I remember I will have about 1/4" clearance but I need to do a really careful measure to be sure). I like the other solutions as well.
    I got mine right down on the roof for just a couple of dollars. Not the nicest looking thing but got me in my garage until something else comes along. Like when Matt gets off his butt and SA sells his sanctions.

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty pjmjr508's Avatar
    would be nice to see if those do get made, I will take a set.
    PJMJR508
    (Happy Jeep)

I saw that Sal in one of the links Matt had provided. Got me thinking about the best way to do this for now.

Just so you know, I made these mounts as low as possible keeping two things in mind:
    1) Clearing the satellite antenna
    2) Getting S-hooks from ratchet straps, etc under them.

When measured at the centerline of the roof:
    The bottom of my load bar is 7/8" above the roof
    The bottom of my load bar is 3/16" above the antenna
    The bottom of my Rola cross rail is 1-5/8" above the roof (so you have basically 1.5" to squeeze your arm under there to wash the roof, pass straps, etc)

If I was just using a 2-bar system and didn't need to clear the antenna, I could probably drop it down 1/2" lower.... but it's so low as it is, im not sure it would really make any difference at this point...

Page 10 of 77 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread Information