Page 66 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt's Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    OK ROUND 2!

Woke up early so I could do some cutting/grinding before the wife left for work.

It's nice out too so I pulled the jeep out and hosed off the rear... was tired of getting dirt/sand in my eyes!

This was the main culprit of my misery last night. The bumper needed to go higher but this dowel was interfering, already at the top of the hole is was designed to go into. I have a feeling those holes on the back of the frames are more manufacturing purposes only and not held to very tight tolerances like the rest of the body/frame; might explain why this fit on Jon's and not mine.

Also shaved down some of the edges to add clearance where it was a tight fit and digging into the body. If it goes on i'll probably grind away more in the spring when i pull it off for paint.

..... round 2 starts soon. I think the only other thing i'll want to do is increase the hole size in the frame rails; maybe to 5/8" or so.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Are there not holes in the wings of the bumper where the bumper mounts on the sides of the XK?? My stock bumper has two holes on each side where it slides in and locks to the Jeep
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

No you take those off. I'm going to write up a step-by-step for Jon once I get this thing on properly.

I need to figure out what to do with the rear TPMS module. Hoping i can get my hands in there to reinstall the screws with the bumper in place. I'm also hoping it's not sitting where the front edge of the bumper wants to be!

Granted i do have my TPMS turned off so I can remove it if i want.... but i'd like the ability to turn it back one if they ever make rubber stems that work.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Why would you take those off? Are those helping support the sides of the bumper?

I'm glad my XK doesn't have all that TPMS crap!
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

They're not needed for the steel bumper due to all the framing. Also the stock bumper can be "flexed" outwards to take it off, this wouldn't work on the steel bumper because you cant pull it outwards.

Well i lost round two. .. and it might be TKO

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Well i lost round two. .. and it might be TKO
    I wish I could be there to help, I am disappointed that this didn't just slide in like the others. This is the first one with the new fabricator but I was told he bolted it to my Jeep so it should have fit perfectly if he really did bolt it on (I sent him a voice mail to confirm he did what he told me he did).
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

I hear ya man... check out your in-box I just sent you a ton of pics.

Senior Member Getting Dirty lekmedm's Avatar
    *ouch*

Name:  punched-tbi.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  11.3 KB

...and he's done...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Respect5match4.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	2197
    2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Carolina Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29LX Chrome LE CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights
    "4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman

Yeah that's pretty accurate man.

And Mark you know me and how irked i get when there's something I can't fix.... this one's definitely a killer. Stuck between a rock & hard place as well since there's no clear path of where to go from here. I can't easily put my stock bumper back on (need to order parts), fenders are already cut, etc.

Gonna need some hard drinks tonight.

Page 66 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Thread Information