Page 68 of 77 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt's Garage

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Matt's Avatar
    Ok Jacob maybe bring the welder tomorrow. Wonder what would happen if I cut off the front ~1" of this L bracket. Might allow us to rotate the bumper a bit and still get the bolts threaded in...

I always think better with beer in me...

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    welder and beer what time should I arrive?

Whenever your heart desires. If i'm still in bed past 7am i consider that a miracle.

Senior Member Getting Dirty hoaxci5's Avatar
    lol - so glad we're past that stage.. I'll be there before lunch, but not early by any means

Anyone who's met my son will love this...

The little dude went in the garage after he got home tonight (my wife and i were in there looking at the Jeep), he walked right up to the bumper and said "Daddy, this is nice.... BUT you definitely need to put something here to fix this" as he pointed to the huge gaps in the sides.

..... thanks bud. Just got called out by my 4 year old lol

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty Core XK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Anyone who's met my son will love this...

The little dude went in the garage after he got home tonight (my wife and i were in there looking at the Jeep), he walked right up to the bumper and said "Daddy, this is nice.... BUT you definitely need to put something here to fix this" as he pointed to the huge gaps in the sides.

..... thanks bud. Just got called out by my 4 year old lol
    Lmao!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    2010 Silver HEMI XK QTII

My Garage: http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...re-XK-s-Garage

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Worse case I will refund your purchase, buy you new fender and a bumper if necessary, Do all you can to make it work but know that if it fails I will make it good!
    2006 XK Limited, 5.7L Hemi
    Dark Khaki, QDII, Rocky Road 2.25" lift, Steel Armadillo front bumper with Warn PowerPlant winch, Steel Armadillo rear bumper w/ tire carrier, Rock Sliders, Light Bar & Front Fender Tube Fenders, 4xGuard belly skid plate & rear differential guard, BFG M/T A/T 255/75R17s on Rubicon rims, Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers, Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray with FoxWing Awning, Superchips VIVID Programmer, Air Flow snorkel, Steel Armadillo Secure Console, Cobra CB Radio, Lock Pick Video Programmer, ASFIR Skid Plates.

Knappster's Garage

Profile for Knappsters

AKA: the Owner of The Steel Armadillo L.L.C.

Jon I know you will. But I also have a lot of respect for you and what you're doing for us, and small businesses in general (my dad is a small business owner, and he's a one man business), so I want to do everything I can to make it work.

I really wish you were there to witness the "test fit".. but hindsight is 20/20. And I can see your fab guy doing a bit of CYA right now; he probably built it side-by-side to yours and didn't have any reason to think it wouldn't fit. So i'm hoping this doesn't hurt your relationship with him, but maybe used as a "lessons learned". Hopefully show him the pictures so he see's how far off it is. The next time he makes one he may want to build it on your vehicle so he gets some of the tribal knowledge Doc had from making the original. Right now i basically have a really expensive prototype

I'm still going to hold true to my promise and write you some install instructions. And depending on how it goes today, there's a few areas where I think you can change a dimension or add a cut which will help with the install as well; or at least reduce the likelihood of someone having a tough time putting it on.

I have two main goals today:

1) Get it presentable so it's not embarrassing to leave it on.

2) Get it so the R&R is as easy as it should be. As of right now it's a two man job, puts a lot of stress on components and uses the hitch bolts to "wedge" it on; giving those threads a limited number of uses. Screwing up the threads on that L-bracket would be bad, really bad.

Super Moderator Getting Dirty 07JeepXK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Ok Jacob maybe bring the welder tomorrow. Wonder what would happen if I cut off the front ~1" of this L bracket. Might allow us to rotate the bumper a bit and still get the bolts threaded in...

I always think better with beer in me...
    If you do this, run a bead of weld down the length of the bracket after you cut off the inch of material. If sure you already thought of this. Just my .02
    2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front Modified OME HD Lift | Rear 4" Superlift | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Rysty’s Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/Heim Joints | Mickey Thompson Classic III 17x9 Wheels | 315/70R17 Goodyear Duratracs | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front Electronic Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Lifetime Member Getting Dirty mrnavy2's Avatar
    Matt, sorry to read u are having problems with your new bumper. But I know u pretty well and I am sure u will make it fit somehow.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    A Veteran, whether Active Duty, Retired, National Guard, of Reserves, is someone who, at one point in their lives, wrote a check payable to "The United States of America" for a amount of
    "up to and including my Life". That is Honor, and there are way to many people in the country who no longer understand it.

Page 68 of 77 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast

Thread Information